Anybody watch LeMans?

LS-WHAT?

Established Member
Audi swept the podium with a 1-2-3 finish!
NCA_00_D31_5537.jpg

It was not easy for the Audi team. Team Peugeot was faster throughout the race and the BMW "art car" knocked one of the Audis of the track. Luck was in Audi's side as the Peugeots started having engine and suspension failures that eventually took all 4 Peugeots out of the race.

There were 3 Ford GT race cars in GT1 but they all failed to finish with a Saleen S7R taking the win in GT1.

In GT2 it was a battle between Team Corvette and the Risi Ferrari with Ferrari going out of the race first followed by one of the Corvettes hours later. The last running factory Corvette involved in an accident when a Peugeot knocked him off the track while trying to catch up to the Audis. Team Corvette rebuilt the rear end of the car in about half an hour and they were back to racing but an engine failure took them out for good.

LS-WHAT?

Established Member
Peugeot-Corvette mishap

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvcNnvwIL4"]YouTube- 2010 Le Mans 24 Hours Emmanuel Collard Corvette C6 ZR1 Big Crash[/nomedia]

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
I watched it. Porsche won GT2 but I love how the Saleen took GT1. I wish that Ford GT held together in GT1 as it was dominating with times. There will be only one GT class next year which I like the idea of.

Jaimie

LS-WHAT?

Established Member
Yes, the GTs were really dominant. Even against the old GT1 Corvettes. It is a good thing there will only be one GT class because GT1 really was not as exiting as GT 2 in previous years. You pretty much knew the GT1 Corvettes were going to win. haha. Now, LMP1 is getting really good too. I think next year both Audi and Peugeot will have new cars.

LS-WHAT?

Established Member
It would be nice if Ferrari would get into LMP1 but I seriously doubt they could challenge Audi or Peugeot without the use of a diesel powered car. I mean, the wining Audi had 397 laps and the closest gas powered car ran 373 laps.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Diesel tech is advancing faster than the rules.

In one years time, Audi was able to exceed it's unrestricted diesel engine performace with it's highly restricted one.

LS-WHAT?

Established Member
I say its good as long as they get that technology into cars, which Audi does with their TDI. Don't they have to run production based engines now? Btw, I'm glad Audi beat the Peaugeats again!

THE_STIG

Established Member
Audi winning this shows that you don't have to be the fastest, Audi is just that damn consistent. Peugeot pushed their cars too hard and they all broke. I cannot wait to see the R18, everyone is saying a coupe but Audi has never done a coupe, it might be too drastic of a change for them.

Last edited:

LS-WHAT?

Established Member
Yup. If you try to break the lap record or be the first one in 1st you will likely kill your car. I liked Audi's strategy of applying pressure on Peugeot while at the same time not being overly aggressive. Look at how aggressive the Peugeot drivers were when they were trying to catch the Audis at the end. Also, I don't think any car that was leading at the halfway point in the different classes finished the race

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
There were 3 Ford GT race cars in GT1 but they all failed to finish with a Saleen S7R taking the win in GT1.

Was one of the Ford GT cars this one, this is a GT 2 car

WFHcarshow019-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
Audi winning this shows that you don't have to be the fastest, Audi is just that damn consistent. Peugeot pushed their cars too hard and they all broke. I cannot wait to see the R18, everyone is saying a coupe but Audi has never done a coupe, it might be too drastic of a change for them.

Audi finnished 397 laps, a new record, with their winning car. It wasn't as fast as the Peugies but it would have destroyed the cars that won last year. Audi looked slow this year but would have been faster last year. Amazing how much these teams can improve in just one year.

Jaimie

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
Yup. If you try to break the lap record or be the first one in 1st you will likely kill your car. I liked Audi's strategy of applying pressure on Peugeot while at the same time not being overly aggressive. Look at how aggressive the Peugeot drivers were when they were trying to catch the Audis at the end. Also, I don't think any car that was leading at the halfway point in the different classes finished the race

Looks like Peugeot may have had a flawed part or design as three of the cars blew their engines on the right bank in the same fashion. One still lasted 23 hours pushing 3:19 laps at the end. The car with the crank case issue and the one that went into the wall at night I suspect might have died the same way eventually.

Jaimie

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
Well somebody needs to beat those damn diesels. I'm tired of the lame sound.

This is due to race regulations. N/A gas engines are allowed 6.0 liters, turbo gasoline are alowwed 4.0 liters and diesels are allowed 5.5 liters which are of course turbo. The power is not where the petrol engines are getting beat in the 24 hours, it is the fuel mileage with the laps per stint. When one type/brand of car dominates another it usually has to do with the regs in any type of racing. Well, putting budgets aside anyway.

Jaimie

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member

I think the audi drivers might prefer the open cockpit but I'm not sure. The cockpit temps stay much lower over an endurance race.

Jaimie

Users who are viewing this thread