Anyone Build a Garage?

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Put an offer on a house recently and unfortunately it does not have a garage. All that said.....It would be nice to have one of those.

Has anyone ever built one on some land of theirs? What kind of costs would one be looking at? ...I've heard anything from $30-$55 per sq. ft. However, I'm uncertain what kind of options that includes.

Ideal garage is a 2-car, one bay with a lift and there be room for a 15x15 shop. Considering a metal building too....

Whatcha got SVTP?

beau t

Established Member
built a 24x40 with 12ft ceiling - built into a bank on 1 side, 4ft poured wall down that side 2ft poured wall around the rest. that being said i wish i would of went 30 wide. inside is sheet rocked, outside has siding that matches the house. A buddy of mine did all the grading (swapped out work) ended up about 18,000$.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
built a 24x40 with 12ft ceiling - built into a bank on 1 side, 4ft poured wall down that side 2ft poured wall around the rest. that being said i wish i would of went 30 wide. inside is sheet rocked, outside has siding that matches the house. A buddy of mine did all the grading (swapped out work) ended up about 18,000$.

Not bad! Wood framing?

awful knawful

Established Member
I built a 30x40. Three 10ft doors. 11ft ceilings. 7x12x40 loft. I'll have $40-$50k Canadian when done. Search for my thread.

sleek98

Established Member
I'm doing a 40x50x12 2x6 stick build with foundation. Had to do the foundation due to the shop being 25' tall at the peak of the roof. Hoa made us match the pitch of the house to the pitch on the shop. 8/12 pitch on a 40' wide shop is 13' tall roof.

200 amp panel, coffer truss for a lift 16' ceiling. 16x10 door, 2 12x10 doors, 36" man door 20x50 concrete pad out front. Stone/stucco front and matching roof to the house. Sides and rear are lp smart siding to match the house. It's running me 65k with no insulation or drywall.

Your biggest cost other than stick built vs pole barn vs metal building will be concrete and what you choose for a driveway.

Check out garagejournal.com for some sweet builds and ideas.

beau t

Established Member
yes wood framing, tried to upload pic from phone with no luck sorry, with the side being cut into the bank the temp seems to hold pretty well to, but in SC outside temp isn't that bad

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Insurance maybe cheaper where you live , if the structure is metal .
It is easy to make a metal building appear to be wood , I use hardy siding , as it is a cement board .
Not many HOA's here .
If you are attaching it to your home , I would make sure to have a good fire wall between the two .

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We are still in the final stages of finishing our 30'X40' garage. When I say final stages I mean cabinets, shelving and that sort of stuff.

Ours is 2x6 construction, 12' ceilings, (3) 9'x10' insulated bay doors with openers, with one side entry door and one standard window.

I contracted it out with everything done but electric, insulation and drywall so I could do some things myself. It was $32K. That said, with everything done so far I'm at about $40K finished...

allister

Established Member
We are still somewhat in the early planning stages for our garage/wood workshop but need to bite the bullet soon because would love to get it up and ready for early spring, looking to do a 30x60 with a 10' overhang and at least 1, maybe 2 garage doors.

As far as stick built vs metal, we are leaning towards stick built because we plan on fully finishing it as far as walls, insulating, drywall, and a few room partitions. Since we do woodworking we need to separate the sawdust from other parts and would also like to leave space for a potential retail spot.

I am really hoping to incorporate heated concrete floors, but that will depend on price. Plan on calling builders over the next couple of weeks to get quotes.

The people who sold us our house had built a ~30x30 2 car garage with loft and matching house siding, spent $40k. Has a ton of electrical outlets but it's not even insulated or sheet rocked or plumbing. I feel they overpaid but I guess I'll find out when I go to quote our workshop.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I've been pricing. Here in Northeast Florida, a 36x26 square tube metal garage with 2 garage doors, one window and one walk in door with concrete floor will cost about $25,000. I think it's hard to beat a metal building for the price. I just wonder how it will hold up through the years.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Metal won't rot , , can be built with no beati g walls in the middle if your work space .
I prefer metal, and I build wooden houses .
A metal framed building , can be finished with all the same materials as a wood frame .

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That's pretty damn good.

I have a buddy who did a shop a bit bigger than that, maybe 30x40, it's plenty tall for a lift and insulated, he said he was in it about $30k into it.

Users who are viewing this thread