Anyone build their own racing simulator?

Kiohtee

Established Member
It's not hard so much as it is expensive. And that's just for the seating, peripherals and other general cockpit goodies. A computer that can actually take advantage of three widescreen monitors at what is likely a high refresh rate is also expensive itself. A setup like that without the motion costs at least $6,000.

I plan to build a budget cockpit this winter using a single 60Hz 1080p monitor and a cheap eBay racing seat, along with my already owned Thrustmaster T300RS wheel/pedals. Should come in at less than $400, not including my PC (already have).

Stanger00

Established Member
It's not hard so much as it is expensive. And that's just for the seating, peripherals and other general cockpit goodies. A computer that can actually take advantage of three widescreen monitors at what is likely a high refresh rate is also expensive itself. A setup like that without the motion costs at least $6,000.

I plan to build a budget cockpit this winter using a single 60Hz 1080p monitor and a cheap eBay racing seat, along with my already owned Thrustmaster T300RS wheel/pedals. Should come in at less than $400, not including my PC (already have).

The article said a company builds them and price starts at $56k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiohtee

Established Member
The article said a company builds them and price starts at $56k

That's why I mentioned at least $6K without the motion mechanics. And that's home built.

I can see why those machines are so pricey. Don't think I wouldn't own one, or three, if I ever won the lottery. Lol

Stanger00

Established Member
That's why I mentioned at least $6K without the motion mechanics. And that's home built.

I can see why those machines are so pricey. Don't think I wouldn't own one, or three, if I ever won the lottery. Lol

I wonder what the preventive maintenance would run on something that sophisticated with all of those moving parts and hydraulics.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I'd think one with a VR headset, wheel, seat and pedals would be awesome for a fraction of the price.

Never_Enough

Established Member

Yea, I don't need top of the line stuff. A cheap seat etc would work for me, but I would want the 3 monitors & all. However, it's not worth thousands to me.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I wonder what the preventive maintenance would run on something that sophisticated with all of those moving parts and hydraulics.

I don't even want to know.

I'd think one with a VR headset, wheel, seat and pedals would be awesome for a fraction of the price.

This.

Yea, I don't need top of the line stuff. A cheap seat etc would work for me, but I would want the 3 monitors & all. However, it's not worth thousands to me.

A computer that can utilize a three (wide)screen setup as well as provide 'pretty' graphics, at 120-144+Hz, is going to be rather expensive. You're probably talking about a $1,500-2,500 computer in parts alone, depending on how patient and resourceful you are.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Last time I looked at just the wheels/pedals/shifter I wanted it was 1200+ so I quit after that. I've used cheap wheels before and it doesnt do much for me.

I do think a VR headset, race bucket, and properly mounted wheel and pedals would be the way to go though!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Last time I looked at just the wheels/pedals/shifter I wanted it was 1200+ so I quit after that. I've used cheap wheels before and it doesnt do much for me.

I do think a VR headset, race bucket, and properly mounted wheel and pedals would be the way to go though!

What in the world were you looking at, out of curiosity?

I have a Thrustmaster T300RS (just wheels and pedals) and it's enough to stay firmly planted while allowing me to win on iRacing. Less than $500 new, shipped to my door in two days.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
What in the world were you looking at, out of curiosity?

I have a Thrustmaster T300RS (just wheels and pedals) and it's enough to stay firmly planted while allowing me to win on iRacing. Less than $500 new, shipped to my door in two days.

Fanatec.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ah! Well, that explains it then. Lol

Fanatec makes awesome stuff though.

Haha, yea I figured that one word would explain it well enough. I do see they have a mid 600's bundle now though. I'd like the Forza bundle which is now $1400!!

Blackness03

Established Member
Doesn't have to be expensive for something simple. You can build a frame out of metal to mount your controls and seat. Pull the seat out of a car or something. Buddy use to have one like that and it was badass

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Cost really depends on how immersive you want it. Fanatec offers both ends of the spectrum components. Their low end gear is still really good. Thrustmaster is another one. There are a few options out there. The more you want out of it, the more expensive it will be. From tactile feeling to full on simulation you can start small and build up. A lot of folks start small and build up depending how their tastes progress an their budgets allow.

Caution: Hours disappear quickly when engaged playing. lol

nudarkshadowl

Established Member
Dont mean to bring this back from the dead, but I just wanted to get your opinions on a recent setup I purchased.

The rig will consist of a Thrustmaster t300rs servo base with force feedback, with a 30mm 599xx evo replica wheel, the vg t3pa pro pedals, and the th8a gearbox all mounted to an openwheel advanced seat and frame. Rather than using monitors, I'll be using an oculus rift (which with the touch controllers is mind blowing already btw). Project cars and dirt rally will be the go to games, but I'm just wondering, is there anything else I'll need to get a decent level of immersion?

Here's the parts thus far:
51oP%2B5WtZKL._SY200_.jpg

51urgAtTIbL._SY200_.jpg
41qbRn%2BSQZL._SY200_.jpg

41QohJnizZL._SX100_.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
^^ that looks pretty sweet but I have no clue if it's a good setup lol.

I have a feeling my room mate is going to move out next year, I'll have some space for something like this.

blk02edge

Established Member
I use a table chair, thrustmaster 900deg wheel and a 55"curved tv with forza 6 and it's good enough lol.

Users who are viewing this thread