Anyone else as excited about the new film "Rush" as me?

Coiled03

Established Member
Negative. The movies never do F1 any justice. In fact, TV struggles to do it justice at times.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Saw the trailer this morning, hoping it's good. My wife and I are F1 fans, we went to the race last year in Austin.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Ron Howard directs it. He really got into the Formula One thing while filming it. Have not seen the trailer, but all of the Grand Prix cars are the actual historic cars. The Tyrell six wheeled car makes an appearance as well. I've been waiting almost a year for this film.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'll be curious to see whether or not they portray James Hunt true to life... woman and booze, hooray!

Looks like it should be decent, though...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Negative. The movies never do F1 any justice. In fact, TV struggles to do it justice at times.

Yeah thats how I feel about F1. I know the cars are awesome but its boring as hell to watch. F1 takes what could be an exciting sport and dulls it down, whereas Nascar figured out how to make a dull sport exciting to watch.

Maybe its just because the cars look so tame and composed at speed versus a sprint cup car thats having trouble maintaining traction coming out of a turn at 180mph.

I saw Driven. That's all I needed to see about F1 or whatever.

Driven was for IRL wasnt it?

I really liked Driven too, I think they had a good premise but didnt execute it as good as they could have. If this is as good if not better id be down to see it.

george.arnold

Established Member
I saw Driven. That's all I needed to see about F1 or whatever.

Driven was a movie about CART/Indy Car racing, not F1. Really not a similar style of racing, besides the shape of the cars.

I'm excited about the movie. Ron Howard seems to have done a great job with it, and all the cars are authentic.

Coiled03

Established Member
Yeah thats how I feel about F1. I know the cars are awesome but its boring as hell to watch. F1 takes what could be an exciting sport and dulls it down, whereas Nascar figured out how to make a dull sport exciting to watch.

Maybe its just because the cars look so tame and composed at speed versus a sprint cup car thats having trouble maintaining traction coming out of a turn at 180mph

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. What I was trying to get across is that TV and the movies can't communicate the sensory assault you experience at an F1 race. There's just far more going on, far more excitement than can ever be communicated via those two mediums.

If you think F1 cars are calm and composed, you don't know anything about them. Just watch the in-car cameras, and tell me how composed they are.

I figured you've seen me post in enough racing threads to know I'm an F1 fan, and would rather be drawn and quartered than watch a NASCAR race.

Whatever, I don't expect to change your mind about anything. Just clarifying my original post.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. What I was trying to get across is that TV and the movies can't communicate the sensory assault you experience at an F1 race. There's just far more going on, far more excitement than can ever be communicated via those two mediums.

If you think F1 cars are calm and composed, you don't know anything about them. Just watch the in-car cameras, and tell me how composed they are.

I figured you've seen me post in enough racing threads to know I'm an F1 fan, and would rather be drawn and quartered than watch a NASCAR race.

Whatever, I don't expect to change your mind about anything. Just clarifying my original post.

Dont get me wrong, I like F1 and have watched a few races, and am actually planning on going to see it live next year in Austin is it? My buddy is a big F1 fanatic so we get into F1 vs Nascar arguments almost every get together. To me F1 is the top end of automotive technology in racing, however for me, that doesnt make it fun to watch as a pack of 20-30 cars inches apart hitting turns at 180-200mph bumper to bumper traffic.

I dont see the drivers doing nearly as much wheeling in a F1 car versus in-car vids of a sprint cup car. These guys are all over the place with the steering input and throttle, even on a car thats setup well. Cars that the driver has to overdrive just to maintain pace? Theyre rowing at 160mph trying to keep the ass end in line and use the front wheels to beat it out of the turn.

coposrv

Established Member
Hope it's not a cheese as driven. I am looking forward to senna much more. Probs see it anyway though.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My friends are huge into F1 and I've gotten into it a bit recently, so I'm sure we'll go see it the day it comes out. With all the hype, it seems like it'll be a well done film. I've seen about every car movie made in the past 10 years and have enjoyed them all, but you have to accept that most of them aren't exactly realistic. 'Rush' looks to change that and hopefully it does.

Dont get me wrong, I like F1 and have watched a few races, and am actually planning on going to see it live next year in Austin is it? My buddy is a big F1 fanatic so we get into F1 vs Nascar arguments almost every get together. To me F1 is the top end of automotive technology in racing, however for me, that doesnt make it fun to watch as a pack of 20-30 cars inches apart hitting turns at 180-200mph bumper to bumper traffic.

I dont see the drivers doing nearly as much wheeling in a F1 car versus in-car vids of a sprint cup car. These guys are all over the place with the steering input and throttle, even on a car thats setup well. Cars that the driver has to overdrive just to maintain pace? Theyre rowing at 160mph trying to keep the ass end in line and use the front wheels to beat it out of the turn.

That's cool I guess, but all that shows is that the cars are either overpowered, need better tires, or need the suspension/aero to be tweaked. I think your 'feeling of speed' just comes from the low mounted cameras on the trackside where the cars roar past. When they show in cockpit footage of an F1 driving going through windy curves on a tight track, I'm absolutely amazed at the driver and the technology of the car that allows it to do that.

If you want to see guys on the edge of control and driving the shit out of a car, watch an F1 race in the rain. Or one like Malaysia where it had rained but was drying out and the crews had to decide what tires to run. Vettel went out on a still partially wet track on slicks and was all over the place. He still kept the car composed and won.

Sorry, but nothing appeals to me about NASCAR. No idea how watching a bunch of cars drive around in a circle is entertaining, I don't care how close the cars are to each other or how fast they are going.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread