Anyone else do a massive career change? Advice needed...

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Currently I work in the banking industry and I get more and more dissatisfied with my job every day. I have a bachelor's degree in management and really I consider myself to be very pliable career-wise. I can do many things, fairly well but I have never mastered anything. I am very thorough though in everything that I do and I take great pride in the work that is in front of me.

I hate banking. I started in it out of HS as a teller then ran off to another state for a while to finish my degree and just become more worldly. Here I am in need of a job after college and I am doing everything I can to avoid banking. What happens? I am so ****ing desperate that I get a banking job.

Fast forward to now. I just moved back to my hometown and took a pay raise at another bank. But moving back to Cali nets me the same cash flow situation as where I was before. Even though I make more, I spend more just to survive. Or I have to sacrifice my dignity and move back in with my mom. Which I did. Hey, Cali is VERY expensive.

What I want to ask is what ideas would you have for someone who is in their mid-20s with the background that I have as far as getting out of banking/lending/investments?

Thanks in advance.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Yeah cali is very expensive. But Hawaii is even MORE expensive. Which part of cali are you at? Socal or Norcal? i thought about workign at the bank as a teller but i would absolutely hate it. I have to do somethign that will keep me busy or else it would drive me insane. Thats why i work at in n out :) busy 24/7 none stop. I think your still young to get into a different career. You have the find the right opportunity. I got about 2 more years of college left and hopefully i'll be able to find a decent career after college. Good luck with you man. stay positive

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
lmao........join the union :poke: we are in desperate need of well educated hard asses to run the show j/k. good luck with the job hunt! :beer:

Rochard

Established Member
If you hate your job you need to do something about it. But you can't ask others to make the choice for you.

The truth is most jobs are boring and people are just going through the motions. You can't tell me that being a manager of a shoe store is exciting.

You must have a passion for something, no matter how simple it is. Figure out what that passion is and then tackle it with gusto.

Good luck man!

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Rochard said:
If you hate your job you need to do something about it. But you can't ask others to make the choice for you.

The truth is most jobs are boring and people are just going through the motions. You can't tell me that being a manager of a shoe store is exciting.

You must have a passion for something, no matter how simple it is. Figure out what that passion is and then tackle it with gusto.

Good luck man!

Yeah, tell me about it. I am looking really hard at a ton of different options. You know, I just want to be involved strategically in something.

Perhaps I can help you out in Vegas? :rockon: j/k man

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I was in banking as well, but only after I'd finished college. My first position out of school was that of a loan officer in a family owned bank. The pay was low and the opportunity was capped at "vice-pres" due to the aforementioned family owned part of the structure. The people I dealt with were a bunch of muppets......lots of whiskey tango sub 600 credit score type individuals. Generally they were nice though and I put forth a genuine effort to help them structure their finances as appropriately as possible in order to help their situation. The wall I kept running into was the fact that the profitability of the institution was the driving factor behind whether I could help someone or not. It became increasingly frustrating putting my time & effort into a proposal for a customer only to have the review committee turn it down.
I understand their motives & the fact that their bottom line was the one that counted...but then again, the bastards made over a million dollars per year from overdraft fees alone so that bottom line was quite portly.

In the end I left over one of the cases where they basically pushed a man into foreclosure, causing him to lose his business & his home. Although I had put together a proposal to rewrite the loans and allow him some more time, it was turned down. I apologized profusely to the gentleman when I delivered the news and then hand delivered my letter of resignation.

I still dwell in the world of finance (for compliance reasons, I can't say where or what) but I now have the flexibility to help anyone who desires me to do so.

So, CLIFF'S NOTES: Banking sucks balls. Leave. Go do something else, even if its temporary to get you around to the next thing.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
become a truck driver. you don't have to go over the road. city p&d is the best and pays ok too. every day is new and challenging and i can't even begin to tell you about the countless number of crazy ass events that take place on a daily basis around you while your out running around in a big truck all day. not to mention all the BOOBIES!

j/k man. every job is like what you described. just find something your interested in and go for it. esp. since you are young and have the time to get started in something new.

rd04svt

Established Member
My daughter went into banking after graduating with a business degree....hates it. She is moving to AZ at the end of the month and has been worring about what she'll do once she gets there. So...she's decided to go back to school....auto repair. Her idea is to open a repair facility catering to women. We discussed this decision, laying out the pros & cons and mapping out a path (hi-lites).
1. Get a job at a dealership. Try to get a position in the service/parts dept. Learn the business side.
2. Get into an auto repair training program. She doesn't necessarily want to turn wrenches but understanding what is involved is important. (this will make or break)
3. MBA? Got the time and $$$....go for it.
4. Be prepared to change or adjust goals.
Will it work? Who knows, but if you're willing to follow a passion why not try? Start with what you enjoy and work from there....you may find your path to the perfect career. I'm almost 50 and still trying new things. Good luck.

Last edited:

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Thanks a ton folks. I can't tell you how much it means that there are people out there who have been or are in the same situation as I am. Banking is a joke and I will be gone as soon as I can.

TrueBlueGT: While not exactly the same situation has occured for me, I feel your pain. You simply cannot help the people who are deserving of it and those who don't deserve catch all the brakes.

rd04svt: You and your daughter have a great idea. There is a lot to be said for the business she wants to get into. I believe that working for yourself is the only way to go, particulary when you want to do things right.

Dreams, passions. I have so many! I love cars, I love driving (as ezernut hinted at, and I have thought about it), I love helping people, I love being involved in strategic decisions, I love statistics, I love music. Possibilities are endless as they say. I have even thought of jumping into being a contractor (running the business side). I have contacts all over the place, maybe its time I start exploiting them.

Once again, thanks a million.

Users who are viewing this thread