Anyone else get a Harley "blatt" with their MRT catted H and stingers?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Just got the MRT catted H added to my stingers last night, and I like the deeper idle and throatier mid-throttle acceleration note. However, I've noticed I can get some of that obnoxious-sounding Harley Davidson "blattt" under heavier throttle, right around 3-4k rpms under moderate acceleration. It's a very loud and kinda unappealing sound (at least to me - oh yeah, and my wife :-D ), and I'm wondering if that's "normal", seeing as I've not noticed that in any soundclips I've heard.

We're not talking an amplification of the stinger pop, pop, pop that you can get under deceleration - I get a nice deep (pretty loud) exhaust note, and then there's suddenly a very harsh "BLATTT!!"

Owners of this combo, please chime in. Thanks!

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I have noticed it too but I have a Bassani CB with my MRT. I thought it was the Bassani though. Maybe it's something you really only notice when you are inside the car? My first thoughts on it were that it has something to do with vibration of the exhaust under WOT. I was also going to check all my connections the next time I'm under the car. I wonder if it could also be a leak? Do you have the H welded on your MRT or just the slipfit? Mine is not welded.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have this setup, it seems to be a characteristic of the system. I try to avoid it by having my rpms up.

Other than learning where/how to place your foot, or changing catbacks...there isn't a "fix".

It is normal though.

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
its the mid pipe...the h pipe is more suited to a chamberd muffler. go with a prochamber or x pipe and you'll probably be happier.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
mblgjr said:
I have this setup, it seems to be a characteristic of the system. I try to avoid it by having my rpms up.

Other than learning where/how to place your foot, or changing catbacks...there isn't a "fix".

It is normal though.

Someone suggested it might "tone down" a bit once it's been on the car/broken in a little. Any truth to that?

Seriously, the rest of the tone/volume is great! It's just that occasional loud, sharp "blatt" that's a bit annoying/obnoxious, at least to my ears.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
evans03c said:
So if it is the midpipe does everyone with Stingers and the stock H see this also?

No, only some "burbling" at idle, and popping while engine braking. I'm talking about a periodic, loud noise similar to a harley throwing a quick rev and the exhaust making a loud "crack" noise for a split second.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
That's what I thought. So I don't think the problem is necessarily that the H is not suited for straight through mufflers and this is the result. If that were true then it should also happen with the stock H. How long would you say you hear it on your setup? I need to check mine again but I think it's like 2-3 seconds tops under heavy throttle. I do know that when I had a Bassani X on the car with the Bassani CB it did not happen, only with the MRT.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
evans03c said:
That's what I thought. So I don't think the problem is necessarily that the H is not suited for straight through mufflers and this is the result. If that were true then it should also happen with the stock H. How long would you say you hear it on your setup? I need to check mine again but I think it's like 2-3 seconds tops under heavy throttle. I do know that when I had a Bassani X on the car with the Bassani CB it did not happen, only with the MRT.

It can be under heavy throttle, but also under fairly slow/progressive throttle. For example, I was accelerating fairly slowly up my street (residential area) yesterday and once I hit probably about 3k rpms in first, I got a short, loud "blatt!!"/crack, before shifting gears.
However, coming home from a baseball game yesterday and getting on the highway, I didn't really notice the same sharp sudden noise. I guess I'll just have to study it a little more in the next week or two to see if it's a regular thing or not. Never really heard it in any soundclips, though, or anyone describe this (usually people just say it simply makes the stingers louder and deeper) :shrug:

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
I know just what your talking about, and I love that Blatt, or as I like to refer to it, the crackle from hell. LOL

I have the Magnapacks mated to the MRT Catted H and when im in low rpms its a nice deep rolling thunder sound that I get. For example I'll be in 2nd, doing a mild 30 and if I let my foot off the throttle and let the rpms drop, and then instantly stomp on the throttle, I get this loud harley type sonic boom/Blatt/Crackle that sure does turn heads. (I Always look out for the law when I do this)

I love this set up because I can control the volume and pitch of the exhaust. When I jump on the onramp its a nice smooth yet loud rumble as I run through the gears. When Im at the light and I have "competition" next to me, is when I make sure I STOMP the sh*t outta the gas so I get that menacing howl. I often get people at stoplights in the car next to me givin me thumbs up or askin what exhaust Im runnin. Guess they love that MRT sound. I sure do!

Last edited:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
1SLYSNAKE said:
I know just what your talking about, and I love that Blatt, or as I like to refer to it, the crackle from hell. LOL

I have the Magnapacks mated to the MRT Catted H and when im in low rpms its a nice deep rolling thunder sound that I get. For example I'll be in 2nd, doing a mild 30 and if I let my foot off the throttle and let the rpms drop, and then instantly stomp on the throttle, I get this loud harley type sonic boom/Blatt/Crackle that sure does turn heads. (I Always look out for the law when I do this)

I love this set up because I can control the volume and pitch of the exhaust. When I jump on the onramp its a nice smooth yet loud rumble as I run through the gears. When Im at the light and I have "competition" next to me, is when I make sure I STOMP the sh*t outta the gas so I get that menacing howl. I often get people at stoplights in the car next to me givin me thumbs up or askin what exhaust Im runnin. Guess they love that MRT sound. I sure do!

Yeah, it's that short, loud "crack" that you described. Personally, I'd rather not have it because I think the sound without it is perfectly menacing on its own (and much deeper than just the stingers). Plus, I kinda roll my eyes when harley guys are at a light blipping their throttles for no reason and just cracking their pipes - don't really wanna be a member of that "club" lol.

So I can expect that's not likely to "go away"/tone down the longer the pipe's on the car?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Idk man, i love that sound. Sounds mean as h3ll if your into that kinda stuff. Maybe you should try the quieter Borla's or get a wheel car YOU OLD TIMER WITH BAD EARS :D lol j/p hope everything works out though

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
I think its just our cars make ALOT of noise between 2000-3000 rpms, I had o/r and stingers and did it, o/r x and magnaflows and it did it, now o/r x and magnapacks and it still does it a bit.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Smokey1226 said:
Idk man, i love that sound. Sounds mean as h3ll if your into that kinda stuff. Maybe you should try the quieter Borla's or get a wheel car YOU OLD TIMER WITH BAD EARS :D lol j/p hope everything works out though

Oh no doubt it sounds mean, but at the same time, I'm not huge on "obnoxious", and that crack borders on it for me (of course, we all have our personal opinions, don't we? :-D )
I'll keep tabs on it for the next little while before formulating a definite opinion.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
8616v said:
its the mid pipe...the h pipe is more suited to a chamberd muffler. go with a prochamber or x pipe and you'll probably be happier.
Ditto! I had the MRT catted midpipe with the Stingers and reverted back to the Magnaflow catted X pipe. The sound is light years "cleaner" with way less drone.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Ditto! I had the MRT catted midpipe with the Stingers and reverted back to the Magnaflow catted X pipe. The sound is light years "cleaner" with way less drone.

You got any soundclips of your setup, btw? I checked out mustangexhaust, and they only had one that wasn't very clear. If you don't, do you know where I could find some?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Jesus, living with this car is kind of a pain now. I'm actually "dreading" cracking open the throttle because the sound is so unpleasant.

I can't imagine this is the sound that so many guys seem to think is awesome. It's so bad, it's really making me wonder if there might be a leak somewhere - like where the H-pipe meets the catback, maybe? Also, the pipe didn't come with a clamp to attach the left and right halves together at the crossover, so we just bought a bolt-on one from the local parts store. At the time I thought it was weird that the pipe didn't come with a clamp. After living with the sound for several days, now it's got me wondering if that might be leaking (I don't think it is - we checked). Did guys with the MRT catted-H get a clamp with their pipe, or did they buy one, or did they WELD the two halves together?

I guess I'm just trying to explore every possible avenue before dumping this pipe for something else. But my patience is running thin :nonono:

Last edited:

optx002

Established Member
maybe its just me but i like that "blatt" sound. I also love the decelerating burbble. I downshift and coast on purpose just to hear that. and that blatt sound alerts everyone including the police your getting on it.. and i like that.:beer:

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Hmmmmmmmmmm, seems like everyone else who has the MRT has nothing but good things to say about it......which leads me to think you may have a small leak somewhere?

MRT did not include a band clamp with their H, although I think they should have. When I first installed mine the two halves didnt align properly, it wasnt a total "slip-fit". I had to go back to a muffler shop and have them adjust it and then I had them bead weld it (not sure if thats what u call it when they just weld some points around the two halves) together.

Best of luck with your set up bro. I can only imagine how pist I would be if my car didnt sound the way I wanted to. Totally takes the fun out of it IMHO

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
optx002 said:
maybe its just me but i like that "blatt" sound. I also love the decelerating burbble. I downshift and coast on purpose just to hear that. and that blatt sound alerts everyone including the police your getting on it.. and i like that.:beer:

+1

I love rippin the s#*t outta throttle and scarin the bejezuz outta unsuspecting motorists. :eek:

BTW that is a bad ass stance you got on that DSG! What springs you runnin?

Users who are viewing this thread