Anyone else get a popping noise when the clutch is pressed all the way in?

svtguy22

Established Member
This just started happening to me, only on cold starts though. When I push the clutch in all the way to start the car, i can hear and feel a slight feedback in the clutch pedal. Feels like the cable is getting caught on something....?

Anyone else experience this?

RussZTT

Established Member
Bent clutch pedal?
No its fine. I do hate where it sits though. Its about an inch above the brake peddle. Its adjusted all the way out so it grabs near the top/middle. It's adjusted pretty loose. Tighten it anymore and it will grab near the bottom. :fm:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
This could be related to a few things.

Stock quadrant - could mean that the teeth aren't meshing correctly due to wear and are slipping when the tension on the cable maxes out.

Aftermarket Quadrant - could mean that the cable isn't exactly centered on the quadrant, it's riding up on the ledge and then snaps down into the channel. Shimming the quadrant will fix that, coupled with buffing the inside edges of the quadrant so the edge isn't so sharp.
It could also mean that there is some flexing at the firewall. Usually, the Steeda bushing which fits inside of the firewall adjuster will fix if that's the problem. Also, fastening the firewall adjuster down at all sides, rather than just 1 or 2 screws.

It could be is a broken TOB Retainer tube, but I would think there would be other symptoms as well if that was the problem.

Lastly, look for wear at the clutch fork where the cable attaches. This could be isolated by getting underneath and watching while a helper pushes in the clutch. The wear would most likely be at the nub on the end of the cable, but I suppose it could be the clutch fork as well.

Users who are viewing this thread