Anyone else get the flashing Battery light? PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeusha

Established Member
Under higher RPM my batt light keeps flashing, I have heard everything from a bad ground, bad altenater, loose wires. I just spoke to someone else on this site they said they had same problem and just brought an Alt and did nothing. I was JUST about to buy a 220amp alt so I would never have the problem again but it seems as though it may not be the culprit. Does anyone else have HANDS on experience with this or know what it is? To be specific no matter what gear im in a cruising ... nothing ... idle ... nothing. But at about 2500 RPM the batt light comes on then goes away when rpm comes down below 2k by the way I JUST brought a new optima battery too which I now think was a waste cause at first I thought was battery.

Last edited:

40calcobra

Established Member
Sounds like the alt! I have smoked 8 alt and this was one of the problems I had. I would get on the gas and the car would lose power and light would come on

zeusha

Established Member
What ended up fixing it for you? You said you went through 8 alts! I dont want to lol, did you go up to a 220amp?

ocwhitetermi04

Established Member
just had the same problem and i changed my SPARK PLUGS AND ALT and it went away i tested my alt it was at 11.3 normal is around 12 ish so change ASAP my car was hiccping and bogged !!!!!

zeusha

Established Member
just had the same problem and i changed my SPARK PLUGS AND ALT and it went away i tested my alt it was at 11.3 normal is around 12 ish so change ASAP my car was hiccping and bogged !!!!!
Mine is doing same thing with loss of power it feels like. Did you do anything when this started? I did a 100mm idler setup then the next day this happened? I am thinking maybe the alt wasnt spinning as fast as it needs?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
flashing battery comes from the alt not working properly. Can be anything that causes the alt not to function properly and or charge the battery. ex: cables loose, corroded, partially broken and the most common for the cobras........Bad alt......

40calcobra

Established Member
What ended up fixing it for you? You said you went through 8 alts! I dont want to lol, did you go up to a 220amp?

I got one from Ford and got a pulley to slow it down. Changing those are pita

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Under higher RPM my batt light keeps flashing, I have heard everything from a bad ground, bad altenater, loose wires. I just spoke to someone else on this site they said they had same problem and just brought an Alt and did nothing. I was JUST about to buy a 220amp alt so I would never have the problem again but it seems as though it may not be the culprit. Does anyone else have HANDS on experience with this or know what it is? To be specific no matter what gear im in a cruising ... nothing ... idle ... nothing. But at about 2500 RPM the batt light comes on then goes away when rpm comes down below 2k by the way I JUST brought a new optima battery too which I now think was a waste cause at first I thought was battery.

Buying parts before you test leads to lots of new parts and possibly not a fixed problem.

The alt should be tested at multiple different rpms and load conditions.
Do you have data logging capability?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-you-post-read-terminator-faqs-hot-links.html <--from here --> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/675089-found-cure-our-alternator-woes.html

This is not exactly a rare occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread