anyone else have trouble tinting the rear window?

shipwreck

Driving Big Boats
Established Member
I had some tint put on the car today, the sides went well and turned out great, but the back was difficult. They could not get the tint/film to stick to the little dots at the top of the rear window. I think they are graphite dots or something. Now i have 5% tint up the where the dots begin, then it clears up like a regular window....it looks a little odd to say the least.

How did your tint jobs come out? any solutions to this problem? the guy at the tint place said it common with mustangs.

Thanks for any help.

Destro03

Established Member
Very Common indeed.
I have had 3 mustangs, and all have had that problem.
It should lay down a little bit better after it gets some sun.
It will never be perfect.
hope this helps.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
yup same here... just trim it below the dots, and get a piece of black vinyl cut for the dot area...

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
I used to work for a stereo shop part time that did tinting. It's common to sand the dots down I believe so they aren't as bumpy. I never did tinting myself though. I just watched sometimes.

shipwreck

Driving Big Boats
Established Member
Where did you purchase the vinyl/ vinyl sticker? or did you get a shop to do it?

also is your vinyl on the outside or inside of the car?

any pictures would help.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
i had mine cut by a sticker shop... i can go out tomorrow and measure it for you if you like, and it is on the inside of the window... i have seen ppl put them on the outside, but that makes it noticable it is there, on the inside it just looks like part of the tint since i have 5% tint all the way around.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Forget the vinyl. I painted mine. I did this over two years ago in South Alabama and now live in Texas. No problems with pealing, fade etc that you are sure to get with vinyl. After you have your window tinted up to the bottom of the dots let the tint dry for about a week. Then get some good flat black high temp paint, tape the inside of your car off around the window, cover the seats with an old sheet and make sure the window is extremely clean. Put your car in the sun and warm the rear window up so the paint will adhere and not run. Paint the window with a first coat and let it dry. Then move the car back in the sun and put on the second coat. You will be able to see the light areas with the sun's help. Take your time so you don't get runs, Took me about 2 hours start to finish. I will try and take some pics tomorrow.

antiv6

Established Member
mine had vinyl put on back there, it looked alright, this time will be better since the vert doesnt have dots!

Users who are viewing this thread