anyone else on here blew up a dss motor?

93sspcoupe

Established Member
just curious how many people blew up dss motors here, cause mine blew up yesterday right after i started it up in the driveway here

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i got no idea at the moment, havent had a chance to tear it apart, all i know is i heard something hit the oil pan and shut off and wouldnt start back, it would turn over fine though

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i will let you know and post pictures too lol. my buddy and his wife has a 306 and 331 and they never had any problems with it.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
I never heard of a DSS that didnt blow up after the first start. I wound up going with a fordstrokers 347 but that spun a crank bearing on the first start as well. However, the guy paid for shipping both ways and replaced the whole motor and assembled everything turn key ready. Also got an appology and he owned up to his mistake when he got the motor back and dissasembled it and saw the flaw. All i had was some down time but they stand behind their work no questions asked unlike the other companies who turn around and blame it on you.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
it apears to be the timing chain that broke. i pulled the dis. cap off and har someone turn the motor over and rotory button didnt move. pulled the dis. looked at the gear and it was fine, looked in the dis hole at the cam and had someone turn it over and cam didnt turn either. so it must be timing chain

geoffc

Established Member
I've got a DSS level 10 block and main girdle. The rotating assembly is CHP though. My only complaint is that I had to clearance the hell out of the block and girdle to clear the 347 kit.
My first inclination would not to blame the short block for the broken timing chain, unless a cam bearing seized or something like that...

93sspcoupe

Established Member
I've got a DSS level 10 block and main girdle. The rotating assembly is CHP though. My only complaint is that I had to clearance the hell out of the block and girdle to clear the 347 kit.
My first inclination would not to blame the short block for the broken timing chain, unless a cam bearing seized or something like that...
it may not be the short block, prolly just timing chain. i should have it all apart tommorow though

Users who are viewing this thread