Anyone ever build a cafe racer?

1997Slobrah

No
Established Member
I have been looking into building up a custom CB550 or CM400 cafe racer, or just buying one that needs a little bit of work. Anyone ever build their own, or own one? If you have... post some pictures!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Check out the bikes on eBay.com. Search for cafe racer. A lot of nice bikes for ideas. Also, check out the bobbers. I'd did a pseudo cafe racer CB550...back in the day. Nothing extreme. Drag bars, S&S progressives, Conti tires, rear sets, bobbed fenders, some chrome and all black. Simple & neat. I can't seem to find any pics that survived.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
I would love a custom cafe cb750. Seen one online that I wish I can build someday

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/honda-cb750-cafe-racer-is-made-to-turn-heads-ar83264/pictures.html

That's the one I want

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
cafe_zpsf81851b3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My buddies dad does these for fun pretty cool

1997Slobrah

No
Established Member
Thanks for the input, guys! I'm still doing a lot of research when I can just to find out how much they typically run depending on what you do with them. Definitely would be a fun project to get into!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
You can also look into the AMA Superbikes of the mid-70's and 80's. They represent the evolution of the cafe racer. Pretty much hot, naked road racers. Streetwise, in the 70's the Honda 500/550 was superseded by the CB750 which lead the charge into more powerful Japanese road bikes. Then came the Kawasaki 900...really the precursor to the street-fighter Superbike. One of my favorite bikes of all time was the original GS1000/1100 Suzuki Katana. The state-of-the-art of the clean, mean and lean Superbike.

cooper1320

Established Member
I bought a 79 kz750 with plans to turn it into a café racer, I got the tank flushed and re coated, rebuilt my carbs then...... just put it in the back yard and haven't touched it since. don't know why but every time I feel like working on it I get lazy plus ive only driven a motorcycle once in my life. I found a bobber I want to buy so maybe this will re-spark my interest in motorcycles again

Users who are viewing this thread