Anyone ever change your inner tie rods?

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
If so..how difficult was it?

Any special tools needed?

Took my car in for an alignment, and the shop said 1 outer tie rod was bad, and one inner tie rod was bad..they wanted 150 just to change the inner tie rod.

:??:

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
The tierod end should come with instructions just in case you have a prob but it takes me bout 25-30 minutes to do 1 on a rack and its not hard if you have the right tool and yep it takes a special tool the best 1 is 60 bux from carquest its a long hollow cylindrical tube that slides over the tierod end and has 5 diff size crows foot type wrenches with it and you put the crows foot wrench on the hex part of the tierod end and slide the tool over it and has a sliding lock on the end of the tool to hold the crows foot wrench in place and the other end of the tool is setup for a 1/2" drive ratchet.. before you take anything loose scribe a mark or get a marker and make a mark so you can get the tierod as close to what it was before so you dont eat up your tire on the way to the alignment shop. Then take the outer tierod end loose from the spindle and loosen the jam nut then unscrew it from the inner tierod end and back the jam nut off all the way and take the outer tierod bellow hose clamp off the tierod bellow and the inner bellow clamp is the steel band type so just find the raised portion of it and get a hammer and screwdriver and knock it loose and the clamp comes off, take the bellow off then you have access to put the tierod end tool on so take the inner tierod off and clean the rack with brake cleaner to get the grease/dirt off the end of the rack threads and put red loctite on the new tierod before installing and tighten it down snug then get a torque wrench and torque it to specs and everything is the reverse from there. You can either use a zip tie or buy another band clamp for bout 5 bux to hold the bellow on and dont forget to torque the outer tie rod, tighten the jam nut and torque wheel to specs.. Then get an alignment and your through.

svtcobra101

Established Member
i jus changed out the inner t rod like 3 months ago.(driverside).. autozone rents out a tool tht allows u to change them..jus count the threads or mark it and get the new one about the same threads..then jus drive it over an have it realigned..an dnt forget to add the lok tight the new t rod comes with..i hope this helps..

Users who are viewing this thread