Anyone ever changed an oil pan on a 5.0?

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
I am wondering how to get that two humped camel looking oil pan out with the engine in the car? Do you know if I can just loosen the steering rack and tie rod ends to make enough room? I am really hoping I dont have to drop the K member or lift the engine! Appreciate any help!!!

Happy Memorial day to all.

buddha93

Established Member
It's nearly impossible, but it can be done. I did it once and I'm not sure I'd ever do it again.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
loosen the fan shroud, engine mount bolts and jack the engine as high as you can.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
You will have to remove fan shroud, take off engine mounts nuts, use an engine hoist to pull the motor up as high and into the firewall as possible, then loosen steering rack. The you can unbolt the pan. Then I still had to drop the pan a little so that I could remove the oil pump for more room to get the pan out.

I have done it only once with the engine in.... and I will never do it that way again. I find it much easier and quicker to just pull the engine out of the chassis.

82Mustang

Established Member
there is an upside, you can clean the hell outta the engine bay amd freshen up leaky gaskets now...as well as dump money into the heads, exhaust, etc.. lol good luck and i agree, i'd rather pull the engine

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
just pull the engine and trans and clean everything up. only take you a weekend

Users who are viewing this thread