Anyone ever host a murder mystery dinner?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
My buddy is having a NYE party at his house and we were looking to do something a little different and this idea came up. Has anyone ever hosted or been to one before? If so was it a good time and did everyone get into character? Also any tips on hosting or what kits to get? I’ve been doing some research and everyone seems to say that they’re a great time and the kits are pretty cheap. Just looking for some real world reviews. :beer:

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
I went to one for my birthday this year. It was a wild west theme. There was about 20 of us and everyone had a blast. You really have to listen to the actors to pick up on the small hints. Would definitely do it again, but it was kinda pricey.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
My buddy is having a NYE party at his house and we were looking to do something a little different and this idea came up. Has anyone ever hosted or been to one before? If so was it a good time and did everyone get into character? Also any tips on hosting or what kits to get? I’ve been doing some research and everyone seems to say that they’re a great time and the kits are pretty cheap. Just looking for some real world reviews. :beer:

I figured you meant it this way I'd just clarify and state that you are wondering if anyone has actually been the cast for one. I've been to a couple like the guy below but I never was a part of one. I feel like the idea of it would be interesting but it might require a lot of upfront work :shrug:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Oh and we'll make the women do all the upfront work like cooking etc. We'll just do the actual "crime" solving and drinking of course. :-D

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
nice i never knew there were little kits like that, might try to do something like that with some friends. thanks for posting that link!

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems like that would be hard if you're not an actor. At least I would suck at it lol. Let us know how it goes.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Depends how much we get the women to drink! So probably no :cuss:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i went to a few of the murder mystery dinners at playhouses and they were always a blast. the food kinda sucked but the fact that the waiters were the actors and you could ask questions and such to figure out who was the killer was pretty cool. i took my g/f at the time and a few friends to one down in FL one year when we went to disney, the best time ive ever had at one. it was modeled after the game clue and really was a huge hit. drinks were expensive and food lacked but it didnt really matter as you were having a blast of a time.

make sure to keep guests entertained. if you loose them to talking to each other too much the whole thing turns too loud and people get put off. oh and serve good food, not just the generic chicken+mash potatos.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Seems like everyone has had fun that's done one so we're going to give one of these home kits a try. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
You should buy a kitchen theme so the women can play too, kinda lame with just all dudes.

Users who are viewing this thread