Anyone ever, or know someone who has, done a Factory Five build?

99GTvert

Established Member
First off, I know they have their own forums, but this site gets a lot more traffic and has some really knowledgable members.
That said, I have been wanting to do one for a while now. I want to build the roadster kit. I'm still in the deciding if I really want to do it/planning stage though. I'm pretty set on using a Mark VIII for a donor and then buying their tubular control arms. I am leaning towards the Mark for the DOHC engine, IRS, better cooling system, and I believe they have a return style fuel system. I plan on just leaving the motor stock at first, enjoy it for a few years, then as it will most likely be higher mileage, build up the engine and fabricate a single turbo system.
I do have a question though. What transmission do you guys reccomend? I would like to do a t-56 but could I get away with something cheaper? End hp/tq goal is around 600/600.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
no but I want to so bad.

Or the other build they have that uses a impreza as a donor car, and slap a built 4g63 in it.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
no but I want to so bad.

Or the other build they have that uses a impreza as a donor car, and slap a built 4g63 in it.

Which kit is that?

I want to build a 33 hot rod and I have the donor car right now... Bought it just for such occasion.

I have a mark viii as well. I plan to get a t56 as well when the time comes. I might even look into a carbureted set up just to be a little different and have webber carbs setting on to that you can see when I don't have the sides on the engine compartment.

Last edited:

99GTvert

Established Member
Yeah I saw the 818, pretty badass. I like the GTM as well, but I figured the roadster is a good starting point. Probably (hopefully) cheaper, and it's on it's 4th generation so they have all the kinks worked out. Where is a good place to get a t-56, or would I be better off finding one out of a wrecked terminator?

Chum731

Shark Baiter
Established Member
My personal opinion is to find someone that already built one and got bored/tired of it.

2 seats doesn't seem like a big deal until you have kids - just sayin :banana:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yeah I saw the 818, pretty badass. I like the GTM as well, but I figured the roadster is a good starting point. Probably (hopefully) cheaper, and it's on it's 4th generation so they have all the kinks worked out. Where is a good place to get a t-56, or would I be better off finding one out of a wrecked terminator?

Find one in local classifieds.

Though I think online you can get T56 brand new for like $2k

99GTvert

Established Member
My personal opinion is to find someone that already built one and got bored/tired of it.

2 seats doesn't seem like a big deal until you have kids - just sayin :banana:

I know, it is tempting. The resale for them fell out when the economy did. But it's just as, if not more expensive to build one. To find one built exactly how I want it would be impossible though. Plus I love to do things myself and I will know that thing inside and out. No cut corners, no surprises.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
FIL and I are doing a 33 roadster right now. We did go to the school in MI before we jumped in, as the kits are not perfect. We both know our way around cars rather well, but the class teaches so much about the inner workings of the kit, as well as assembly pitfalls and shortcuts.

We are halfway done (rolling chassis). Here is what I woudl recommend for anyone considering a kit:
1 - less is more; my FIL got caught up in making it the baddest car he has ever owned. He got the hard top option, running boards, A/C, power windows, power steering, then opted to do the 480hp/376ci LS3 mated to a built 4l65e 4 speed auto. It has taken us a year to get all of the wiring and electrical perfect. I voted for a 4bbl 302 SBF and a AOD, open top, no fenders, no power options. If we had gone my path, we'd be done.

2 - less is still more; trying to street 480hp in a 2100lb car is crazy, even thru an auto. These cars are beasts in the mid 300hp range - we have a built Moser 8.8 with the 3 link and 315s out back and there is no traction in first gear. If you cant put the power down, it becomes pointless.

3 - Go to the FFR school - $800 plus travel cost, but it will save you from yourself when you f up one of the LCAs on the front suspension when you installed it backwards (somebody must have been on a potty break when we did that part in the school:shrug:)

4 - set real timelines, else you will start to hate the project. I work, but my FIL is retired, so my time to commit was limited. His was not and he woudl beat himself up and get pissed if he couldn't get something to go in right.

That said - great kits, well engineered. Looking to get a Cobra roadster for myself when we finish the 33.

Now, some pics:
2011-11-12_11-00-14_379.jpg

2011-11-12_11-12-15_85.jpg

2011-11-13_15-49-27_312.jpg

2011-11-13_15-50-02_85.jpg

2011-11-13_15-50-02_963.jpg

2011-11-13_15-50-12_132.jpg

2011-11-13_15-54-14_550.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member

like Chum said, plenty of these. Check FFcars.com or thefactoryfiveforum.com classifieds.

Also, it is a full return fuel system, as was asked earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread