Anyone ever use a sod cutter? Resodding tips welcome

Hawaii-50

Established Member
Like the title says. This is my upcoming project and I'll be renting one from Home Depot. I resodded back in 2008 and the Bermuda grass came back. I killed the whole front yard with Round Up and will hit it one more time, just to make sure. I'll throw down some fertilizer on the bare ground first, drop 2 pallets of St. Augustine, then water the crap out of it for the next 2 weeks. Any tips or suggestions for a job done right are appreciated. Thanks.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
What are you using the sod cutter for? I'm under the impression you are talking about the walk behind machine that cuts the sod under the roots making it easy to roll the sod up again. Would you be using that to remove the old stuff?
If you have any slopes make sure you stake them.
I'm not a landscaper but when I've done sod I always made sure I laid the new sod on small amount of loose soil.
I also keep it tight and tuck the edges if need be.

Again I'm not a Landscaper but working for a GC I have had to sod a few lawns and had luck.

wht93gted

Established Member
I worked as a landscaper for nearly 10 years. A few summers during high school, all through college, and on weekends after college while just getting started in my "real" job.

If you cut the old grass out, no need to have loose soil, and honestly, if it was too lose we'd hit it with a roller to compact it down. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but quite often (on pre-established lawns) we'd sod cut the old turf, till the ground using a big rear-tine tiller, then rake out and level the yard, followed by rolling with a lawn roller. You can also apply starter fertilizer at this point as well.

Along driveways or walkways it helps to dig a little deeper using a flat shovel so that the sod sits a little lower. You want the roots below the surface of the walkway/driveway. Basically you don't want it sitting up too high.

We've used stakes but you have to have fairly significant hills to need them. It wouldn't seem like it makes that much of a difference but you want the ground prepped very well and very flat. Sod doesnt hide much and you will see rocks or things under it.

Don't tuck the edges, just butt them up nice and tight. Stagger the joints and try to start against pre-existing edge that you know is straight; like a driveway or walkway. Water water water, a lot. At least 2 weeks and don't mow either for at least 2 weeks.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You have to be diligent with St Augustine down here,make sure you prepare for cinch bugs and grubs, those pesky bitches will destroy a new expensive lawn. How's your soil?
Since I'm close to the water I got 90% sand but grass will grow on it well once it's established with good irrigation. Have you considerd Bahia? It's more tolerant to heat..

Users who are viewing this thread