Anyone familiar with lawn tractor repair?

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I have a 1989 Murray lawn tractor I was running this past weekend when it suddenly made a loud banging noise and stopped itself and the engine shut off. I thought I might of hit something with the blades but that was not the case. When I try to restart the tractor I get a clunking noise coming from the rear of the tractor. The starter looks like it engages but won't spin the motor. I know it is not a battery issue and the engine did not seize as I can turn it with a wrench. I feel like there is something with the transaxle that is the issue but am not that familiar with them or where to look next...

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If its a vertical shaft see if you can spin it by hand, key off obviously.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I pullled the belts and it was the same. Clunk from the rear end and starter engages but wont turn the engine. I can spin the engine with a wrench so I know it's not siezed. With the clutch engaged the drive belt loses and the rear drive pully on the transaxle turns freely so I don't think that is holding it up either. If the starter engages but wont turn the engine over, could that still be a starter issue?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
We had an old Craftsman with a Briggs and Straton that had a nylon gear on the starter. The gear would wear out and not start the engine. But you'd hear the starter just spin and the engine wouldn't turn over. Is the starter spinning? Maybe something is getting jammed in the bendix drive of the starter?

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
The gear moves up and engages the flywheel but won't turn it and there is no other sounds coming from the starter at all

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I know the starter was rebuilt several years ago. I am wondering if maybe that or the solenoid is the issue. Will try looking into those next. I saw a video of a way to bypass the solenoid and try to power the starter directly so I will see if that gets me anywhere. Would a bad starter or solenoid just cause the tractor to die while it was running? I would of though that was more just an issue of trying to start it.

03slow6

Established Member
If the gear is jumping out and engaging the flywheel but not spinning, try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver, the same way you would with a car. I have an old Honda tractor that does the same thing.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I finally had some more time with it today. I can turn the engine about a quarter of a stroke by hand or with the starter before it locks up. I am now sure something broke in the engine which is stopping it from turning beyond. It is a old model so I don't know if I have much in the way of rebuild options or replacements...

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
My wife grenaded the engine on our antique-ish Lowes/MTD tractor. Found a replacement engine on eBay for 100.00 and swapped over. Easy fix.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I had a old one with a 17HP Kohler that did something similar. Pulled the engine and found the connecting rod bolts had came loose, but never blew. Got a new rod and seal and was good to go. I can't remember where I got the parts though. Pretty cheap IIRC.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Shoot. Y'all folks grass must not grow like it does here in Fl. You have to mow every 7-10 days. And I am talking it's high in 7. I have a 48 inch zero turn that is a heavy duty one not a Lowes And it takes me a hour just to mow. If I mow my mothers yard add another 1 1/2 hour. We don't have time to be fooled up with mower acting up! Lol that and we mow from March til November sometimes. Granted slower grow in March and November.

Users who are viewing this thread