Anyone familiar with the retain accessory power mod?

Shanezam203

Established Member
Hey, it isnt really a mod, but I am looking to tap into the power for the radio and windows for after I turn the car off, I want them to stay on like GM till I remove the key. I looked into it a while back when I had the Lightning, so I'm pretty sure it can be done. (can anyone confirm that?)
Anyone have any info on it, or done anything like this to their car?
Thanks, Shane

Shanezam203

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Here you go.
radiorelay.jpg

i was looking at that last night, if the Cobra and the Lightning have the same wiring diagram then im in good shape.
I just need to find the power for the radio, and splice it into the retain accessory power wire? Then what do I do for the windows too?
Thanks, Shane

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You may have to compare the two vehicles circuits, but once the wiring is identified, you should be able to duplicate this. As to the windows, just use the same set up to control the window relay. I have been meaning to do this for quite some time and can't seem to get my butt out to the shop to play with it. Now that it's 110 outside, it will probably have to wait until October or I get the a/c into the shop!

Shanezam203

Established Member
If I call around to some stereo installation shops, you think they've anything like this before? I wouldn't mind doint it myself if I have more info from someone who has done it on the mustang... Anyone done this to their Cobra?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I was looking at the window circuits on our cars this morning and there isn't a relay! They're simply powered by a fuse. I would think this would be simple to add the windows to this set up. I am confused about the diode he calls for. I need to see what he's protecting with it...and why.

Users who are viewing this thread