Anyone Fimilar with Private Investigator Laws in North Carolina?

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
For LEO's and P.I.'s only .

Real fast break down of the situation: (please keep in mind this is all second hand information)

My friend left his wife about a month ago. He gets wind of her hiring a P.I. last week. Later he finds out it was really like 3-4 weeks ago.

Anyway, he finds a tracking device of sorts on his company truck. He takes it off and places it inside his apartment. The P.I. comes to his work place and demands it back. Does he have to return it? Can he wait and make the P.I. take him to court for it or can he say he never seen it etc etc and not retrun it at all.

Also my friend, said that when the P.I. was asking/demanding his device back he said his investigation was over and that he needed to watch what he says in other peoples homes, that he has "bugged" them with out anyone knowing. Is that even legal, to go in someones home and "bug" it with out their knowledge?

The P.I. also went on to say other things like he had obtained his cell phone records and that he needs to watch out for his friends because they're really not his friends. Is it legal to obtain someone's cell phone records with out a court ordered summons (or somethihng similar)?

Thanks in advance?

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
Its my understanding a PI can place a transmitter (GPS LOCATER) on a vehicle without any sort of legal repercussions.

They CANNOT go in a home or business, to do anything, without consent, as that is breaking and entering, or at the very least unlawful entry.

Users who are viewing this thread