Anyone go from a 2.9 Whipple to a Gen 2 VMP TVS?

tktlwyr

Established Member
The car is a 90,000 mile true DAILY driver. I'm currently running a 2.9 Whipple with a 3" pulley on 93 octane. Supporting mods include Whipple CAI, 72# injectors, L&M 72mm throttle body, Revan/C&R dual fan heat exchanger and radiator, 170 t-stat, dual VMP plug and play fuel pump voltage booster, Kooks 1 7/8" headers into an offload X and out to a Ford Motorsport 2 3/4" mufflers. The car laid down 720/685 SAE to the wheels 2 week ago at Power By the Hour in Boynton Beach, Florida. I left VERY happy, however, my sour luck with this car continues (I've had a few strange issues creep up and some bad luck with a few local shops). BTW, Frank and the crew at PBH provided great service and my experience there was VERY positive.

Last week, the Whipple started sounding like it had a bag of rocks in it. It felt that way too, at the rear of the case. It has 60,000-70,000 miles on it. I'm currently mulling over whether to send it be rebuilt by Whipple or pick up a VMP Gen 2 TVS. Down time is not an issue. The power with the Whipple has been great, but I'm tired of the hassle when I have to remove the Whipple (which has come off at least 5X since being installed). The car isn't raced so talking about power number with 23 lbs of boost and gobs of timing on race fuel are not pertinent to me. I just want/like/need :) a good, stout, 720 RWHP street car.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If you're laying down 720 at the wheels, some would say you've reached the efficient limit of the 2.9. Next up, Whipple 3.4!! :rockon:

tktlwyr

Established Member
I've been pondering stepping to a bigger unit, but since this wasn't a planned expense...well, still pondering.

Thanks for putting KB's on sale, Van. You're not helping my decision. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread