Anyone go to/graduate from WyoTech?

95kobrah

Established Member
Hey guys... ive reached a milestone in my life. Im graduating from college in about 2 months with a BFA in Art Technology (computer art stuff) and i have to make a decision on what i want to do after that. Heres my options as of right now:

1. Try to find a job in my field (any graphic design orineted stuff)
2. Go to graduate school and get a Masters in Industrial Design
3. Go to tech school and learn how to build custom cars

Trying to find a job in my field so far has been, well to say the least, extremely difficult. First, there are No jobs in my home town area, so i will have to move for sure, secondly 99% of the jobs i do find need 2+ years experience. THe jobs that i do find that are entry level, dont pay enough to support life so i would more than likely have to have a second job.

Going to graduate school sounds awesome... until you look at the cost. To get an masters in Industrial Design (automotive design) at the Art Center College in Pasedena is about 14K per semister times 2 semisters a year times 3 years. 84 thousand dollars is alot of money for a 23 year old. THe other thing about it is the application and acceptance process. THeres no guarentee that i will even get accepted to a graduate school.

Third option. Wyotech. Ive heard great things about it, a friend of mine from highschool went and is working for BMW right now, making more money than you could imagine. Kid (23) just sold his house for a bigger one, and sold his Viper for a brand new M3 that he's gonna S/C. So obviously theres potential for a great career. I would probably go into the Autobody and hotrod areas, so down the road (with my art and design background) i could open my own shop along the lines of what people like Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington do. But in the interim i could find a job at any collision facility or dealership to being saving for such a venture. The other option at Wyotech is to go with the tech part of it and do all the engine work and sort of "teach" myself the ins and outs of the body work stuff.

So basically i was wondering if anyone had any experience with WyoTech and what advice would you give someone like myself. What would you do in my position? Is going to a tech school AFTER college a step backwards or a step in the right direction? Thanks ahead of time for any input guys, i really appriciate it!

cobraracer46

Banned
Wyotech and other for profit trade schools are known for turning out idiots. Furthermore, the tuition at those private trade schools is very expensive while the quality of education is lacking. If you want to really learn about automotive mechanics, I would highly recommend a automotive program at a junior college.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
95kobrah said:
...a friend of mine from highschool went and is working for BMW right now, making more money than you could imagine...
Just remember that for every person like that in the automotive field, there are thousands of others just getting by on flat-rate, warranty work and poor benefits.

I know a number of people who went into automotive tech trades, and ALL of them have either gotten out of the business or they're barely making ends meet. The trade schools will fill you full of stories about "technician shortages" and "good techs make $80K a year." That's a serious amount of hype. The reality is nowhere close to that.

Check out these threads...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150896
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127756

Users who are viewing this thread