anyone gone from a 5.0 to a focus st or SHO

o2gt

Established Member
Im thinking about trading in my car for one of these two. Im looking for something with better milage that would be the ST or more practical in the SHO. I love the mustang but think a change might be in order. I don't owe anything on my car. I would likely by either car used. I would tune either car and might do exhaust but thats about it. just wanted to see if anyone has owed or driven either car much to see what you think.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
if its only FoST or SHO and you mention gas mileage, I'd go with a Focus ST. Would be pretty fun to take on a road course too, maybe do local auto crossing.

Was in the same boat as you OP (in regards to selling 5.0), decided to continue paying it off. :bored:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Went from a supercharged 2012 GT to a FiST. The Fiesta is far more of a fun car than the GT was. It's like driving a go-kart, and the Recaros in it are the best seats I've ever had in a road legal car.

o2gt

Established Member
Went from a supercharged 2012 GT to a FiST. The Fiesta is far more of a fun car than the GT was. It's like driving a go-kart, and the Recaros in it are the best seats I've ever had in a road legal car.

did you compare the focus against the fiesta before buying? If so what swayed you toward the fiesta?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The FiST is more fun to drive than the FoST, but the Focus is a more pleasant all around car. The FoST has a much better interior and build quality.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I went from a 2005 GT to a FiST. I looked at the FoST and while the build quality is bar none better than the FiST, it didnt have that raw handling feeling. Something just stood out on the test drive in the FiST that made me gravitate to it more. And for reference, i test drove just about everything south of 35k...Abarth, GTi, WRX, Veloster Turbo, Beetle Turbo. Only car that might have been a little more fun was the Abarth due to the exhaust note and curb weight. Packaging though killed it and i needed a back seat/cargo space.

I didnt get the Recaros as Sid did above. I am a bit wider(5'10" and 230lbs) and the lower bolsters really dug into the sides of my thighs. It was extremely uncomfortable and in the end i just couldnt deal with it. Drove a FiST with the regular seats and navigation and that sold me.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So 3 completely different cars. Having owned a SHO and several Mustangs, I'm debating going back to a SHO. It's Mercedes level comfort/options in a Ford. Something you can't even get in a benz you get in the SHO which is A/C'd seats. I've priced out a 15 SHO with PP, NAV, 401 package(blindspot, heated-a/c seats, rear window shade, etc), active seats(massaging), and power roof for $46,730. Easily can get $4K off sticker and there is currently $4500 in rebates. PP SHO's with a tune will run high 12's. Downpipes and 3 bar tune mid 12's.

My son wants me to buy him a Focus ST when he graduates highschool. We've looked at them a few times. It's not a car I'm personally interested in.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I have a 2014 GT and a Focus ST, both cars are fun to drive and I don't think you would be disappointed going from the Mustang to the FoST. Mine has the FRPP tune, intake and resonator delete, not too much, but enough to make it a little more fun.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The FiST or FoST is where its at if you want fun. The SHO doesnt do anything for me.

Gotta drive one. They are seriously quick off the line and the motor just pulls and pulls and pulls with no end. The exterior styling could use a little more flash but i understand that Ford wanted it to be a "sleeper" like the original version.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I went from a SHO to a Fist, chose it over the focus also. focus just not as fun to drive. the fiesta can be driven a WOT all the time, no tugging at the steering wheel, just fun little bursts to the next light. we got rid of the SHO because I was tired of 14mpg, my ecoboost f-150 gets better mileage and has a TON more room for the kids.

I will say though, now that I want to mod it, I wish I would have bought something with better aftermarket support.

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
Keep the Mustang, buy a cheap side car for gas mileage. I think you'll regret it once you realize neither the Focus ST or SHO are very good on gas mileage.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Keep the Mustang, buy a cheap side car for gas mileage. I think you'll regret it once you realize neither the Focus ST or SHO are very good on gas mileage.

Agree with that. My SHO which was a nonPP averaged 23.2. So a little better than a mustang GT, but not earth shattering.

GTtoSVT

Established Member
I have a FiST and a GT, GT has 2500 miles after 10 months. I hope this answers your question. :)
FoST and FiST are both a blast to drive!

o2gt

Established Member
thanks everyone for the replies. seems like both st's are very popular. I guess i need to head down to the ford dealer and see if I cant drive one to see what there like.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
We average around 32MPG with the FiST.

you sure you are not padding that a little bit?:) I get 24-25 mixed but on a flat highway with cruise set at 85 it will only get 27-28. the only way I can see this thing breaking 30 is with the cruise set at like 60 or so, pretty sure no one drives that slow anymore.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
you sure you are not padding that a little bit?:) I get 24-25 mixed but on a flat highway with cruise set at 85 it will only get 27-28. the only way I can see this thing breaking 30 is with the cruise set at like 60 or so, pretty sure no one drives that slow anymore.

I'd say going 85 mph isn't doing you any favors...

Users who are viewing this thread