Anyone had their tonsils removes?

carnut101

Established Member
Doc says I have enlarged cryptic tonsils. I'm going in for a tonsillectomy next month. Anybody has this done? It's my first time ever going under the knife. I've never broken a bone, gotten stitches, or anything. Kind of has me weirded out that someone's gonna be cutting stuff up in me while I'm knocked out.

Anyways, for those that have had this done, did you experience any side effects like a change in your voice or a loss in the ability to taste?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
i woke up too soon after surgery and threw up blood for a good 3 hours. then all i got to eat was luke warm jello, No ice cream! man was i pissed. i was only 9 at the time.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
mine were severly infected when i was like 5 with strep and they got taken out then. i remember it all but they say it's alot easier the younger you are. good buddy had it done a few years back and after he had a couple of weeks to heal up he said he felt alot better than when he had them. gl with the surgery man!:beer:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I had ear problems around the age of 10, I guess partly due to my tonsils. I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out as well as had some ear tubes put in. As soon as I woke up they gave me a popsicle, about 15 minutes after that I threw blood up.

About a week or so afterwards you can start eating solid foods, but its going to be sore. About 2-3 weeks after the surgery you'll start to cough and the back of your throat will start bleeding--this is normal though.

"olsson"

Established Member
I was 7 or 8 when i had mine removed, threw up some blood after surgerey thats all i remember :shrug:

BoostGhost

Established Member
Had mine taken out when I was 6 because of strep. I remember waking up after surgery and I had dissolvable cotton swabs in the back of my throat which felt weird but then I just passed out in the recovery room. You might get some crazy ass dreams while knocked out during surgery. In the end, it worked out because I rarely ever get a bad cough since having it done. Oh yeah, no side effects. Good luck!

carnut101

Established Member
Coughing up blood... now THATS my idea of a good time :rockon: lol.

Oh well, gotta get it done. Thanks for the info.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
had it taken out twice... they grew back... lol medical ineptness in russia i guess... i don't remember it being that bad though... no biggy :)

Havoc331

Established Member
I had my tonsills & adnoids taken out at the same time. Here was my experience:

Went in they let me pick out a toy i wanted..lol Probably cause they felt sorry for the pain i was about to have. Put the robe on, go into the room where they lay me down, give me that great giggle juice, then they put warm towles on me that just came out of the dryer.

I think i was around 12 or 13 years old. When i started to go out the nurse asked me if i was still awake. Well, i was hitting on her the whole time. Doctor laughed & said give him just a a little more. Next thing i know i was out cold but in the middle of the surgery i remember waking up.

I remember the doctor said give him some more he's waking up. Gave me a little more & i was out until i woke up. Woke up in the recovery room & lucky my parents were in there cause when i woke up i was not happy. I didn't know where i was & i tried to rip out the tubes in my arms & my dad had to stop me...lol.

WHen they wheeled me out to the car as soon as i felt the heat i was going to throw up. I swear that was agony that i NEVER want to go through ever again.

My recovery went terrible when i was at home. Everything i ate would shock my throat & i would be in so much pain. That's all i remember that entire two weeks nothing but agonizing pain.

Some people recover better than others do. My friends sister was in high school when she had hers removed. The very next day she was eating McDonalds. It pissed me off. I was like damn i was stuck eating shit as if i was on the flu. And yes i remember coughing up blood when i was recovering at home

bright blue

Established Member
I had mine taken out at age 7. I remember going in, getting shots, getting gassed, then waking up in recovery. I set straight up in the bed and said, "I wanna go home." They laid me back down, and I did the same thing again, and again, finally the doctor said to let me go home. They brought me a wheelchair, I wouldn't have it, I walked out of that bitch, went home, asked for a hot dog. Mom called the doctor, and they said to let me have it if I want it.... I remember having a sore throat, but it felt better than tonsillitis. I spent the next day laying on the couch, then I was back up and running around.

kenmo

Established Member
Getting your tonsils out at an adult age is night and day from getting them out at a young age.

My sister had hers removed about a year ago. She was 32 years old. She couldn't talk for the first day because it hurt so bad. A week later she tried to eat solid food (noodles) and it loosened up the wound....she bled so much out of her mouth we had to call an ambulance. 4 days later she sneezed and the same thing happened....another ambulance trip.

Somewhere around 4 months after the surgery she felt back to normal with tasting things and being able to swallow normally.

Now granted, my sister is kind of a wimp....but I SAW both incidents with the bleeding and it was awful.

Talk to some more people that have had this done at your own age.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Shit, i had mine taken out at 22, and i didnt have a single problem.. Hell, i had my sister stop at Taco Bell on the way home from the hospital. With as many times as ive had BAD strep (I was a carrier, although the symptoms went away, the virus was there).

They gave me 2 weeks of slow time, making sure i didnt do anything strenuous to break a clot loose.. Midnight at the end of the second week, i wake up and my throat itches... Hhhmmm, thats strange.. Next thing i know, im standing over a toilet with blood FLOWING out of my mouth. I swallowed so much blood, nothing could be kept down.. Not even a mouthful of water. Not a good experience... ESPECIALLY when the blood finally made it through my system.

carnut101

Established Member
Just a little update... went in for surgery on Friday.

WORST PAIN EVER. I've been in bed for six days now. Tylenol/Codeine is my new best friend :D

Users who are viewing this thread