Anyone has a Racing SIM set up?

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Took apart my rig...re-measured everything.. much better result. Amazing when you spend a couple of hours doing something instead of 45 minutes.

Also added the brake performance kit for the Fanatec V3 pedals...HUGE improvement. I used foam board to black out the area above the bottom screens. Then used the Asus bezel free kit to clean up the transitions.

Next step....replacing the steering wheel. The DD2 makes the Formula V2.5 creak and pop under load randomly...it's not the mount, it's the wheel itself. Looking at jumping to a Gomez Hyper P1 or a X-29. The X-29 comes in quite a bit cheaper...and I'm not sure I need another screen for data...but the P1 does have the cool factor. EDIT: A buddy just sent me the LeoXZ XF1 wheel. It comes from the factory to fit a DD2 mount and won't require a USB hub.

Hyper P1:

HYPER_Ascent_Front_NEW_V3_1800x.png

X-29:

X29_front_tilt_NEW_1800x.png

XF1:

LeoXZXF1Pro_1024x1024@2x.jpg

View attachment 1818860

Wow! First time seeing this - is that yours??

That is wild!! Do you get feedback in the steering wheel and seat too?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow! First time seeing this - is that yours??

That is wild!! Do you get feedback in the steering wheel and seat too?

Yes sir.

It has feedback in the wheels and pedals. I don't like the full motion rigs. I've played with a few different ones, and it's just not the same as far as driving the car. You can get a pretty good feel of grip and rotation with the wheel and if you adjust the sound levels (engine down, tires up) and don't need to be moving around. In real life your body is subceptible to G forces and will pull on you, on the motion rigs, it uses your own body weight to 'feel g's' and it's just not the same.

I like to use the sim to get a good idea of turn in, apex, exit, etc. It's a lot more about track memory and setting up good visuals, than it would to have any kind of Gs. The feedback in the pedals and wheel is nice because it helps build up memory about how the car will feel at each point on the track under different circumstances.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
After about 10 hours of use... the Leoxz wheel is really nice. Feels great, buttons work well, feels solid, etc.

I do wish it was a 300-315mm wheel though. Feels just a touch small, even though it's the same size as my old formula style wheel. The one gripe I have is with it being open on the bottom of the grips, I feel like my thumbs are more tired after a session or two than they were before. I don't have the bottom of my hand to help stabilize.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't, but have thought about it... is it worth it?

It's worth it.

I think Steam is running some kind of special for first time users? Like $22/year or something. You have to buy cars/tracks...but it's not very expensive.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
If you care about accuracy and have passion for real racing, then absolutely yes. If you like arcade style stuff, no
I've really only ever played Gran Turismo and F1. I do like the idea of it being more accurate and true racing, but I also don't have a race car.
It's worth it.

I think Steam is running some kind of special for first time users? Like $22/year or something. You have to buy cars/tracks...but it's not very expensive.
I'll check it out, thanks!

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I have iRenting…I normally run against AI or a weekly fun league. I haven’t had the time to practice and run competitive races in a while now.
I'm guessing that autocorrect screwed you here (hilariously) but I envision you going to rent a center and paying $50 a week for a wheel and pedals to play Gran Turismo.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
No mistake - it was a joke though…

iRacing is all subscription based. Stop paying the bill and you won’t have access to the game or all the content you purchased.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have iRenting…I normally run against AI or a weekly fun league. I haven’t had the time to practice and run competitive races in a while now.

It's not very expensive though.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
A good friend and iRacing buddy texted in a group chat: "talk me out of this" and included two links

So, I'm asking svtp to either give the green light or to offer alternatives for those

*edit*
"Full set up details...
Trak racer TR80 rig
Fanatec DD 8NM wheel base
Fanatec shifter
Samsung g9 49inch ultra wide
Logitech g659 gaming speaker system
I7 13th gen processor
Nvidia 4070ti gpu
32 gb ram
Liquid cooled"

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've used them twice... I really liked them. I don't think they're 3x's better than Fanatec though.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I don't have a PC yet, but it is on my list of things to build so eventually I will.
In the same boat. Really want VR.

I've been burning up the new Forza Motorsports since Christmas and I wish they would've held off on releasing. No Nordschleife? Really?

I don't know if the game carried over wheel settings from FM7 but I was happy I didn't have to go through that again. Or maybe wheel settings are precalibrated (as it should be) finally.

I did notice it made my old ass wheel base feel totally different. It's so much smoother and feels better.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

AKirace12

I've used them twice... I really liked them. I don't think they're 3x's better than Fanatec though.
Out of curiosity what pedals do you run? I’m running the load cell CSL and was also looking to upgrade as well… I don’t like how stiff the brake is I would like a little more travel so it’s more realistic I bet me load cell CSL brake pedal has less than 3 inch travel. I was looking at the V3 & the simagic p1000 & p2000 because the reviews mention more travel and adjustability over a standard load cell brake.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Out of curiosity what pedals do you run? I’m running the load cell CSL and was also looking to upgrade as well… I don’t like how stiff the brake is I would like a little more travel so it’s more realistic I bet me load cell CSL brake pedal has less than 3 inch travel. I was looking at the V3 & the simagic p1000 & p2000 because the reviews mention more travel and adjustability over a standard load cell brake.

I liked the Simagic stuff...just not enough to pay that much for them.

I have Fanatec V3 pedals with their performance kit. I'd say they feel 85% of what my actual racecar feels like.

Users who are viewing this thread