Anyone has changed a tierod?????

kubusio

Established Member
I noticed that one of my tierods is bad and what pisses me off the most is that the dealer replaced the same one over a year ago so they wont warranty the work.

How hard is it to change it? Anyone done it?

Dealer wants to charge me $400 bucks with allignment but if I can do it myself than its only around $100 for the allignment.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
actually it's probably a tie rod "end" youre referring to, not hard to do...just have to remove cotter pin, castle nut, and knock it out of the hole, then unscrew it off of the tie rod...you'll need to get it aligned unless you can get the new one on and tightened exactly where the old one was...

i had to replace both sides on my 01, drivers side at about 80K, pass side at about 110K....

BTW you shouldn't have to pay more than 50-60 bucks to align a GT, since you'd only need a front wheel alignment...

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
kubusio said:
I know for sure its the inner tie rod and yes its a GT but with an IRS :rockon:

OIC...my description was for the outer tie rod end...never had to replace an inner even at 129K when i sold her...

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Um pretty easy.

What you have to do is remove the outer tie rod from the spindle and remove the billows that cover the part of the rack. You need a big adjustable wrench to fit over the nut where it screws onto the rack. There is a little brass pin that is used to "lock" it in place. It'll break off when you turn the nut so don't worry.

Then the new one screws back on. Just snug it. Too much and you can break the rack.

PM me if you have any other questions. I've done it a few times on my friends cars. Its really easy. Took me about an hour per side total.

Users who are viewing this thread