Anyone have a built motor Mach..

10thsvtcobra

Established Member
Curious if any one here has a mach 1 with a built motor and supercharger. I want to beef up my engine so I can run higher amounts of boost. just curious if anyone else has a built Mach, what the set up is and what kind of numbers you are seeing. Thanks

98svtconvert

Established Member
oh, sorry to hear that. well have you tried corral or stang net. i think that they have a mach 1 forum. i am not trying to be a dick or anything i just don't think that you will get much of a responce here. good luck though.

98svtconvert

Established Member
on a side note. what service are you in. how is it over there. i am navy. lucky for me we don't stay on land very long. stay safe so you can come home and have fun with the car.

10thsvtcobra

Established Member
98svtconvert said:
on a side note. what service are you in. how is it over there. i am navy. lucky for me we don't stay on land very long. stay safe so you can come home and have fun with the car.

I'm in the army, and things are touch and go here, last night one of my tanks was hit by an RPG, no casualties just blew the track off, spent 5 hours putting it back together :mj: I have asked the same question in other forums I just figured it wouldn't hurt to post here. I know how SVT owners can be, I am one :nono: well thanks for serving in the navy I'ts great to meet people who serve their nation!!

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
There is not much diff between the Mach1 and the 99/01 Cobra motors. My 01 has all forged internals (manley rods, cp pistons and cobra crank), ported heads, livernois cams and a D1SC w/3.2 pulley. Around 15/16psi it puts down 664rwhp and 592rwtq.

Fourcam330

Established Member
10thsvtcobra said:
Curious if any one here has a mach 1 with a built motor and supercharger. I want to beef up my engine so I can run higher amounts of boost. just curious if anyone else has a built Mach, what the set up is and what kind of numbers you are seeing. Thanks

If you're taking the time to rip the motor apart, do yourself a favor and replace the God awful Navigator intake cams. If you don't go with aftermarket sticks, at least use previous gen. (99/01 as the lobes aren't staggered like the 96-98s) intake cams.
Stock 03/04 intake cams (same heads/cams on the Aviator, Marauder, Mach, and Cobra) negate most of the benefits (better short turn casting quality, and a much larger exhaust port) the 03/04 head castings have over the 99/01 C heads.

The_Wretched

Established Member
best thing to do is forged internals(pistons) i have a 04 mach and will be doing that once the 3 yrs hit... ive read people boost 15-20lbs and make well over 600hp/tq and have absolutely no probs with the engine. I would go turbo, but that's me. Hope that helps.

Blown02

Established Member
Actually I think more important than the pistons, is the rods, but if you gonna tear down the motor you might as well do everything.
Youll need a cobra crank, forged pistons, forged rods, rod bearings, main bearings, arp head and main studs. Then paying someone to pput all that in.

Fourcam330

Established Member
The stock PM rods and hypereuctectic pistons are both shit, and don't forget the billet oil pump gears (if not an external wet sump). If you plan on running more than ~650rwhp and 7000rpm on a regular basis, go with billet steel rods (Manley billet ultralights to 1200HP, Oliver/Carillos to 1400HP, Manley 300Ms for anything more). If not, 4340 forged H beams (Manley, Eagle) will do just fine. Just make sure you use ARP 2000 7/16" rod bolts. :beer:

twinturbocobra

Established Member
Brad Tyson runs/ran regular Eagle H-beam rods in his small tire car that's gone high 7's @ 180+ MPH, and Brent on Turbomustangs.com runs regular H-beam rods in his 1177 RWHP street car as well. I think they're more than adequate for anyone's street car.

NXSVTCOBRA

10thsvtcobra said:
Curious if any one here has a mach 1 with a built motor and supercharger. I want to beef up my engine so I can run higher amounts of boost. just curious if anyone else has a built Mach, what the set up is and what kind of numbers you are seeing. Thanks.
SloIndyCobra said:
There is not much diff between the Mach1 and the 99/01 Cobra motors. My 01 has all forged internals (manley rods, cp pistons and cobra crank), ported heads, livernois cams and a D1SC w/3.2 pulley. Around 15/16psi it puts down 664rwhp and 592rwtq.

isnt that what ur lookin for :D

Fourcam330

Established Member
twinturbocobra said:
Brad Tyson runs/ran regular Eagle H-beam rods in his small tire car that's gone high 7's @ 180+ MPH, and Brent on Turbomustangs.com runs regular H-beam rods in his 1177 RWHP street car as well. I think they're more than adequate for anyone's street car.

They aren't using them in Modular motors either. Even 4.6s have a 3.55" stroke (longer than a 351 windsor), 5.4s have 4.165"s.
Modulars put a lot more stress on the rods/rod bolts for that very reason. If you plan on over 650-700rwhp or 7500rpm in a 4.6, one should really step up to billet rods. Over 7000rpm regardless of power in a 5.4L, and you should use them.

Last edited:

blowngt

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
If you're taking the time to rip the motor apart, do yourself a favor and replace the God awful Navigator intake cams. If you don't go with aftermarket sticks, at least use previous gen. (99/01 as the lobes aren't staggered like the 96-98s) intake cams.
Stock 03/04 intake cams (same heads/cams on the Aviator, Marauder, Mach, and Cobra) negate most of the benefits (better short turn casting quality, and a much larger exhaust port) the 03/04 head castings have over the 99/01 C heads.

So are you saying that the 99-01 sticks are better than the 03-04 sticks for NA applications only. Are the 03-04 sticks good for supercharged applications (like a 2v conversion with a D1 :coolman: )

Fourcam330

Established Member
blowngt said:
So are you saying that the 99-01 sticks are better than the 03-04 sticks for NA applications only. Are the 03-04 sticks good for supercharged applications (like a 2v conversion with a D1 :coolman: )

I'm saying 99/01 intake cams are better for all applications, than the 03/04s, including yours.
How much power/boost are you shooting for with your combo?

Last edited:

blowngt

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I'm saying 99/01 intake cams are better for all applications, than the 03/04s, including yours.
How much power/boost are you shooting for with your combo?

I'm shooting for 600-650 RWHP. I'd like to use my D1 to get there, but if I have to go to a F1 so be it.

I'm still learing here, but are you saying that you can use the older intake cams with the newer intake cams?? Would that make a better combo than just 03-04 cams??

Sorry for the questions, but I'm in the process of assembling all the parts I need so I can do the conversion later this year and I have an opportunity of buying a set of 03 cams for a great price!!

Fourcam330

Established Member
For maximum power from stock cams use 99/01 Cobra intake cams, with 99/01/03/04 exhaust cams (they are the same grind). The 03/04 intake cams are from the Navigator 5.4s, and have no place in a performance vehicle of any sort. 96/98 intake cams have the same lift/duration as the 99/01s, but they also feature minutely staggered intake lobes due to the B heads twin ports. The slight offset promoted better swirl, and makes the 99/01s the best choice for a tumble port head.
Performing said swap on an optimized N/A bolt on 4.6L nets around 20-25rwhp. With a blower the gains would be even better.
Have you thought about aftermarket cams? Not that you'll need them to hit your peak HP goal, but they can give you more area under the curve. Crower stage II billets and their single spring valvetrain (good to .495" lift and 7500rpm) would serve you well.
You can hit 650rwhp with a D1 NP. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread