anyone have a cure for wheel hop?

1qwkpny

Established Member
Wheel hop sucks. I just put on new falken GR Beta FK451 (225/50/16) and they work great but now the launch is either wheel hop, bog, or slip the clutch. Obviously slipping the clutch works best and the g-tech says my 0-60mph is a best of 7.21 but it averages btw 7.3-7.58. I would like to come out of the hole harder but I don't want to break anything. So far the only thing I've done to the mounts was to replace that shock absorber/damper looking thing with a turnbuckle and that helped some. All my other mounts are brand new any suggestions?

Bass

pour me another
Established Member
baer big brake kit and heavier rims. ( somethin chrome. also koni yellows and h&r springs...... No more wheel hop for me.

SteedaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Bass
baer big brake kit and heavier rims. ( somethin chrome. also koni yellows and h&r springs...... No more wheel hop for me.

hmm or save money and put cement blocks on your car instead of the 14" brake kit and rims lol opps i forgot the chrome part :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :nonono: :nonono:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Thats because with your heavier rims you are adding more rotating mass and TAKING AWAY horsepower!

Originally posted by Bass

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
I'd highly recommend a TorSen myself...

As the for 0-60 mph ratings.

It takes a shift to 3rd. It is not a good indication of acceleration ability as it is just past a shift point.

With a chip you can knock almost 1 second off your 0 - 60 just because of the fact you can make it in second gear.

bullet 1

Established Member
Cool. I am starting to like theses things!!!!! I saw a 1998 1/2 for 7000 in red with 63000 miles on it. It was perfect!!!!!!! Is it good deal?

imnotted

That sounds reasonable. I bought my '99 in Oakland for $9k on Memorial Day weekend and it had 42k. Just keep your eyes open. Go online and check the local papers too. I found mine via sfgate.com

Pb Foot

Established Member
My buddy has the passport G-timer... and my other buddy has a lightning. The lightning is stock and did 5.4sec to 60 and 13.7 in the 1/4... that thing is dead on. I have clicked off a 6.3sec to 60 quite a few times.

beyondloadedSE

Established Member
I talked to keith at street flight about his turbo 2000 svt. He ran a 14.7 without a quaife. I believe hes added quaife since then and a torque strap that connects to the rear motor mount to the subframe. He said after the torque strap its elminated all wheel hop, and now the tires just spin. I think he now runs about a 13.8.

Green SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE
I talked to keith at street flight about his turbo 2000 svt. He ran a 14.7 without a quaife. I believe hes added quaife since then and a torque strap that connects to the rear motor mount to the subframe. He said after the torque strap its elminated all wheel hop, and now the tires just spin. I think he now runs about a 13.8.

14.7 with a turbo??:??:

-R-

WhatV8

Established Member
One tip is to fill your front and rear engine mounts with urethane (i.e.- 3M primerless urethane). I did this to mine and it eliminated 90% of my wheel hop. You will still get wheel hop on wet surfaces though.

jblack

Established Member
Originally posted by Jason43
Not nearly as bad as the CSVT

I dunno.

You are 100% correct that the CSVT has some killer wheel hop, but I've been in some RWD cars with some wicked wheel hop as well. :shrug:

It probably all depends on how much power the car makes, along with tire type/size and the way the suspension is set up.

You can still get a good launch in a CSVT without wheel hop if you know how. ;)

beyondloadedSE

Established Member
oh believe me, its bad! The tire/wheel size combo will effect the wheel hop. My stock 15" wheels basically just spin since the tires are cheap and the sidewall of the tire is pretty big. But with my aftermarket 17" wheels, watch out! Your just waiting for the stock diff to grenade! :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread