Anyone have a rain soft water softener?

99GTvert

Established Member
I just bought a refrigerator from home depot and they said they wanted to send someone out to check my water for free. I agreed, thinking it was a service they were just providing. It turned out to be more of a sales pitch for this water softener. At first I was mad, but then some of the tests he was doing kind of impressed me. Then, I found out how much it costs (a little over $4,000) and am wondering if it would actually be worth it. So, does anyone have the system? Like it? Hate it? Worth it?

fast ford brian

Established Member
If your water is that hard its worth it, but honestly most people can get by with a good inline filter installed at the well.

99GTvert

Established Member
It's Cleveland water so I'm sure it's not too bad. He was just saying how it cleans things better/less wear and tear on appliances. Just didn't know if it was bs or not.

xenodragon

Established Member
Is rain soft the brand? if so not worth it for $4,000. I have 2 water softeneres in my own home and my rental each cost four hundred bucks and they work great.

The water in our neighborhood is very hard and was ruining our dishes, so we had to get one.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
This is a very important piece to your house. I have had one for almost 20 years now. Since I have not been in the market for some time you should definitely get some other prices. They have some salt free units now that supposed to work great.

Bottom line. Get one if you have hard water.

clbailey

Established Member
Water softeners are more for the western dry states that have alot of hard minerals naturally found in freshwaters. I highly doubt the water you have in Ohio needs a softener that bad. Think to yourself, does anyone else around you have one, and have you ever had one? The answer is probably definitely no.

I'd say thats one of the best sales pitches I've herd in a while. I agree just install an inline filter.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I have a softener and carbon filter setup in my house but we need it here in Central Texas due to all the limestone. The water is super hard.

Right after I moved in, Home Depot/Rainsoft did the same demo but told us the setup was $7k. After some research, I found better equipment online using Fleck valves and bought both the softener and filter for around $1100.

Users who are viewing this thread