Anyone have a SVCHOST cleaner/scanner?

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
One of my svchost.exe causes my comp to run at 99-100%. I cant find what program the svchost is controlling. When i cancel the process my sound and graphics kind go screwy. Any help other than "do a virus scan"?

GodStang

Established Member
What you need to do is go in to your control panel and completely disable automatic updates.

txyaloo

Established Member
Apparently it's the svchost that controls windows themes. When you cancel it, does your screen go back to Windows Classic mode/look like Windows 2000? I think there's a MS Hotfix for that issue.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
txyaloo said:
Apparently it's the svchost that controls windows themes. When you cancel it, does your screen go back to Windows Classic mode/look like Windows 2000? I think there's a MS Hotfix for that issue.

thats exactly what it does.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
just read on microsofts website about this problem and one of there fixes is to disable automatic updates. My computer wont allow me to do this. Any idea how to let me do it? Windows XP

GodStang

Established Member
What do you mean it will not let you? What does it tell you?

Last edited:

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
when i goto automatic updates in the control panel, there are like 4-5 options that you can check. All of them are grayed out so you cant select them. Its like theres a lock on it and i'm not allowed to change it. I am the admin on this comp so its not that.

edit. here is a pic

Last edited:

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
that did it :banana: Now i'll have to wait and see if it keeps happening.

thanks alot

txyaloo

Established Member
EATONSRT said:
just read on microsofts website about this problem and one of there fixes is to disable automatic updates. My computer wont allow me to do this. Any idea how to let me do it? Windows XP

These articles?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914810
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089

If turning off automatic updates fixes it you for, let us know and I'll pull the hotfix from MSFT's premier site and upload it somewhere so you can grab it.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
just did a restart and now there are 7 svchost.exe's running which is the same as before. It used to freeze up about once every 1/2 a day so i'll give it a day and see if it works.

those were not the articles i saw. I cant find the spot i found the solution to. I was googling it and came across it. thanks for the help.

GodStang

Established Member
You will always have many svchost.exe running but what you have to look for is in the CPU column is it hitting 90-99%.

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
svchost.exe in and of itself isn't a bad thing. It's an actual needed windows service, with several being in use on most machine.

What happens is spyware/virus commandeer this service causing issues as the one stated above. I would reccomend is a full spyware/virus scan to see where you sit.

What are you running for AV/AS?

Users who are viewing this thread