Anyone have a U0401:81 fault code?

Ueberhopft

Hello, I have this code also with my 13, did anyone fix this dtc?

Reference Thread

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
No.....I dont. Check your connections on your modules. Attached is a PDF of the network and connector's. Find someone with Ford IDS software and run a live network test to isolate the problematic module. Next run a self diagnostic test on the module and check for any fimware updates on the module and reflash it.

U0401:81Invalid Data Received from the ECM /PCM A: Invalid Serial Data ReceivedThis DTC is set when the IPC receives invalid network data for 5 seconds or more from the PCM for the engine oil temperature and the inlet air temperature data.

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

IPC Gateway Function

The IPC acts as a gateway module by receiving information in one format and transmitting it to other modules using another format. For example, the IPC receives the vehicle speed data from the PCM over the HS-CAN , converts the data into an MS-CAN message and sends (gateways) the message to other network modules such as the HVAC module, the Audio Front Control Module (ACM) , and the SJB . This enables network communication between modules that do not communicate using the same network (HS-CAN or MS-CAN ).

IPC Network Messages

The IPC uses input messages from other modules to control the gauges, informational indicators and warning indicators over the communication networks. If a required message is missing or invalid for less than 5 seconds, the gauge or indicator that requires the message remains at the last commanded state based upon the last known good message. For example, if the brake status message is missing for less than 5 seconds and the brake warning indicator was on, the indicator remains in the on state until the next good message is received. If the message remains missing or invalid for more than 5 seconds, the IPC sets a U-code DTC and the output becomes a default action for the indicator or gauge. Each indicator or gauge utilizes a different default strategy depending on the nature of the indication. Refer to the normal operation descriptions located before each individual pinpoint test for further description of the default action specific to each indicator or gauge. If the messaged input to the cluster returns at any time, the normal function of the gauge or indicator resumes.

NOTE: Whenever a network message is suspected as missing and confirmed by a missing message DTC (U-code), it is important to look for other symptoms that may also be present in the IPC and throughout the vehicle. If the message is missing from other modules, the same DTC may also be set in those modules. Confirmation of missing messages common to multiple modules may indicate that the originating module is the source of the concern or the communication network may be experiencing some problems.

Attachments

• Network.pdf
    122 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

BCICAN

Established Member

Reference Thread
Yes I think I did I have been chasing the fix for that code since last year . Had the U0401:81 code it was a ground for me I used a dremel to sand the paint to give a better connection and it’s gone now . I’m sitting in the car it’s raining now so don’t feel like getting out sorry , not looking at the paper that has the numbers but think it’s ground 100? . I will look when I get home but those 3 grounds in passenger side at the top are what fixed it for me I’ll be home soon

Reference Thread

Last edited:

BCICAN

Established Member

Reference Thread
Ok I had taken my car to 2 different ford service few months ago told them I think it’s a ground issue they ignored me . one said the code wasn’t there another said it was a ghost code and screwed up a basic oil change after that I wonder how they tie thier own shoes , anyway I took the car to HPP to get the JLT and tune and thought I would ask while I was there they did a check in the icp by hooking it directly to battery which had been flaky it’s a long story that doesn’t matter here. but after he showed me there was an electrical issue I figured since it worked when directly hooked to battery the issue is probably somewhere between the 2 places. I have been busy so the first I was able to check was G102,G103 and G100. I used a dremel to sand the spot to make sure there was a good connection . After I did that the U401:81 code is gone . I will continue with the other grounds to try and fix the other code I have but haven’t had enough time yet . I have had to chase ground issues in past too what I did was get the information about all grounds in the car to see where the grounds are and where they connect . If you don’t have a service manual I was able to get the information from motorcraftservice.com I just paid for the $23 one you don’t have to spend a lot to get what you need .
Good luck I hope this helps you

Users who are viewing this thread