Anyone have an early 2000s land Rover Discovery??

firebird1999us

Established Member
I've been looking at 4wd SUVs on the cheap...found a lot of 2003s for like $8-9k or less in great cosmetic condition on craigslist. I know they can be mechanically problematic. My neighbors is a 99 and has all kind of issues and a quart of oil under it and some electrical issues...

Does the cost of common repairs outweigh how cheap you can find them for? I would assume they're capable offroad...any input:shrug:

mysteed

Established Member
Stay away at all costs unless you can afford to replace the headgaskets and reseal the entire engine to stop the oil leaks.

cbr repsol

Established Member
if u want something like that buy a 95-2000 jeep cherokee xj platform. Damn solid rig and great for offroading. you can get pretty nice ones for 2500-3500 bucks.

Stripped302

Established Member
Don't let people scare you off, I had a 04 Disco SE and it was a great truck, extremely capable more so than my fully locked and lifted 98 grand cherokee and way better to drive on the road also. It has a classic look that you can't beat and really doesn't look dated if you get the 03-04 headlights. Now for the bad stuff, yes they are prone to leaking oil and possibly coolant if the head gaskets go due to the GM dexacoolool that was used. The oil leaking is 99% because you have to re-tighten the valve cover bolts but almost all shops will tell you its coming from the heads because people expect it from what they hear.

Also these are extremely simple engines, it basically breaks down to a alum. buick block.
so it is very easy to work and once resealed and you start using regular coolant and the better gasket kit you won't have the leak issues. As far as the electrical issues it is mostly the power window motors and once they are changed and you replace the guide bushings you are all set.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
if u want something like that buy a 95-2000 jeep cherokee xj platform. Damn solid rig and great for offroading. you can get pretty nice ones for 2500-3500 bucks.

What he said. I've driven a lifted 97 Cherokee for the past three years and have had minimal problems. Bought it for 1700 with 100,000 miles and it now has over 185,000 and still running like a champ. The 4.0 I6 is bulletproof and the XJ performs great off road. Couple hundred for a 3 inch add a leaf and some cheap tires = a great daily driver and weekend toy.

My uncle had a Discovery and dumped more money into it in four months then i've spent on my Jeep since i've owned it. Who knows if he just bought a lemon but from my experience I would avoid them at all costs. Hope this helps

firebird1999us

Established Member
They look cool....but I assumed they were total junk based on the price. I've never actually seen my neighbors run - just sit in the driveway and leak oil:(

I have always had Jeeps and wanted to go with 99+ Cherokee or an 87-91 Grand Wagoneer like I had when I was a kid:shrug:

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Great thing about Jeeps is they are a dime a dozen. Easy and super cheap to find parts for, let alone fix. I grabbed some junkyard almost perfect leather seats (both front and rear bench) from a front end collision grand cherokee for 150 bucks and even at 6'4 ride comfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread