Anyone have any experiance hiring talent? d-list celebrities and what not?

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
Wondering what an appropriate rate is to offer for a day of shooting with a d-list celebrity. What I've found is that is impossible to deal with any of these agencies because you end up getting the assistant to the assistant of the assistants manager to the assistant of assistants.

They all ask "What's the most you'd spend" as if I'm retarded enough to answer that question.

The closest I've found so far is the SAG rate sheet for 2009 which lists for "new media" (internet ad) that a principle is paid around $2000\day. But I'm not sure how that exactly applies to a d-list celeb and what not. My thoughts are that is the minimum and might just be a joe off the street.

Also I see there are rates for how long the ad is allowed to show, both a 8 weeks and 1 year.

So if anyone knows anything about this stuff, I'd be interested to hear. I'm looking at hiring someone that is around 12,000 on IMDB. So a pretty straight d-list type setup.

I can contact a production company directly that works with the actor, but I need to know the bounds of "the ballpark" I guess.

It is surprisingly much harder to give these people money than I thought. Again any help appreciated SVTP'rs!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
We don't higher actor talent, but instead musical talent. I'd say for a d-lister you might be in the ballpark on the $2000 per day. Depending on who we're working with, our rates are generally around that mark.

Some are more some are less depending on who they are and their credentials.

With that said, it's good to have some insiders helping you out. The way we've gone about hiring talent is through contacts we made through our industry lawyer that handles our licensing. You may want to look in that direction. Otherwise you do tend to get lost in all the cracks of people that want a piece of the talent's share.

Where possible you should try and get directly to the source or as close to it as possible. In the end you make and offer based on what you think is fair for the job, then you negotiate with the talent and their agent.

What we've found is that a lot of times the talent we're trying to book is 100% in and for a lot less than you'd think. However, it's their agents and managers that really start to screw things over. It's their job to get as much money for that person as possible, which also directly effects that amount of money they make as well.

One final note on talent. Unless the person is a household name (or household for the target demographic) we don't have a tone of data to suggest the expenditure is worth it over other qualified individuals that don't command huge sums of money because of their name.

But we're also not advertising here. We run an online guitar instructional service. So you may want to take that in to account.

YMMV

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
We don't higher actor talent, but instead musical talent. I'd say for a d-lister you might be in the ballpark on the $2000 per day. Depending on who we're working with, our rates are generally around that mark.

Some are more some are less depending on who they are and their credentials.

With that said, it's good to have some insiders helping you out. The way we've gone about hiring talent is through contacts we made through our industry lawyer that handles our licensing. You may want to look in that direction. Otherwise you do tend to get lost in all the cracks of people that want a piece of the talent's share.

Where possible you should try and get directly to the source or as close to it as possible. In the end you make and offer based on what you think is fair for the job, then you negotiate with the talent and their agent.

What we've found is that a lot of times the talent we're trying to book is 100% in and for a lot less than you'd think. However, it's their agents and managers that really start to screw things over. It's their job to get as much money for that person as possible, which also directly effects that amount of money they make as well.

One final note on talent. Unless the person is a household name (or household for the target demographic) we don't have a tone of data to suggest the expenditure is worth it over other qualified individuals that don't command huge sums of money because of their name.

But we're also not advertising here. We run an online guitar instructional service. So you may want to take that in to account.

YMMV

Thanks, that's exactly the way I've felt with the process so far. To put this into guitar terms, I'm looking to book someone like Tosin Abasi. The general public has no idea who he is, but if your target is technical guitar players, they know. I guess I consider that D-list.

Thanks for your help :beer:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Thanks, that's exactly the way I've felt with the process so far. To put this into guitar terms, I'm looking to book someone like Tosin Abasi. The general public has no idea who he is, but if your target is technical guitar players, they know. I guess I consider that D-list.

Thanks for your help :beer:

Tosin is a perfect example. I filmed an artist series from him about 2years ago.

I obviously can't go in to payment specifics about what we offer, or what we have offered, but Tosin on our end is a middle of the roader. We paid him more than we pay our core instructors, but less then people like Rob & Phil of Machinehead, or Brent Mason.

On that note, Tosin is an awesome guy. Incredibly intelligent and a brilliant player.

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
Tosin is a perfect example. I filmed an artist series from him about 2years ago.

I obviously can't go in to payment specifics about what we offer, or what we have offered, but Tosin on our end is a middle of the roader. We paid him more than we pay our core instructors, but less then people like Rob & Phil of Machinehead, or Brent Mason.

On that note, Tosin is an awesome guy. Incredibly intelligent and a brilliant player.

Guy is a ****ing BEAST:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread