Anyone have any experience using 3M tape over vinyl?

madscotsman

Established Member
Got an RTR deck lid panel and planning to install it on my car. Want to delete the faux gas cap. Already transferred my "3" emblem to the lower right and a new Jack Roush signature decal on the lower left (Like the original rear panel is/was) of the RTR panel. My question is this. My car's rear deck lid came with a flat black vinyl "decal/wrap" from Roush that also has a gloss black pinstripe along the top of it, so the RTR panel's "tape" would attempting to adhere to matte vinyl on the sides/middle/bottom, and along the top adhering to half gloss and half matte vinyl, horizontally (if that makes sense?). I plan to use the included adhesion promoter. Will 3M tape stick to the vinyl on the trunk lid or do I need to try to remove it before installing the RTR panel?? My "3" emblem was installed on top of the vinyl but the adhesive on it felt softer to me than typical 3M tape so I want sure if it was some type of a foam/liquid adhesive.

TIA

Attachments

• RTR.jpg
    RTR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 194
  • decklid.jpg
    decklid.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
It will stick since I put an emblem over my eye deck panel the was wrapped in matte vinyl. When I went to remove the emblem since I didn't like it, it ruined the vinyl underneath from the removal process, so if I was you I would just take it off before you put it on.

Users who are viewing this thread