Anyone have any tricks for leaky c-clip eliminators?

hatchke

Established Member
I have an (honestly) over-built SRA in my car and I just can't seem to get the driver's side c-clip eliminator to stop leaking. It's all Strange components, 35-spline s-trac dif, 35-spline axles and strange c-clip eliminators. I pulled it all apart this weekend, cleaned it up, trimmed the housing end a touch more and it's still wet between the brake bracket and the safety block.

Should I just use a thin layer of RTV between them or something? Or maybe my inboard seal (in the caliper bracket) is leaking and it's letting fluid through?

It's seriously driving me nuts. It WAS leaking really really badly and seems to be better now, but maybe this is just part of c-clip elims on the street? First car i've had with them, and i've heard they can be problematic at times. My passenger side is completely bone dry though, so I don't know what's going on here.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Years ago when I first learned about C clip eliminators I also learned they're prone to leaking. The only 100% fix I've ever heard of was going to 9" ends.

But it's been a long time since I've messed with an SRA so maybe things have gotten better and you just need some updated parts.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
bite the bullet and do the 9" ends. You also don't have to worry about snapping an axle and having it walk out of the rear on you with the elimination of the c clips

hatchke

Established Member
Haha that's kind of what I was afraid of. They tend to just leak, which you deal with, or do the 9" ends. Maybe with my work it'll just leak.. less than it was. It was a pretty significant leak so that it felt a little concerning.

96dreamer

Established Member
9" ends aren't a guaranteed fix either. I've had issues with one of mine leaking over the years. I'm not familiar with the c clip elims. Do they use a sealed bearing or an open style?

I ended up having to put a universal axle seal in the tube to keep mine from leaking

Users who are viewing this thread