Anyone have experience with Pro Challenge road race cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Has anyone owned, raced, or have any experience driving one of these Pro Challenge road race cars? I know they were initially built for oval track racing, but apparently they have road race models that can race in SCCA SPU/O. Just curious how these cars are? I believe they're as large as a miata, have Kawasaki 1100cc motors, and can achieve 150mph! Seem like fun oversized gokarts!

http://www.prochallenge.net/2014_Season/PCRaceCars_2014.html

Sirl

Established Member
I believe I saw some pics of someone running a Mustang bodied car like that on C-C.
I'm trying to find the pics I saw, but not having any luck.. Dave Hester maybe?

David Hester

Established Member
Fun little car. Can race SPO in SCCA or SSU, I believe in NASA. Came with Kawasaki engine when they were circle track. John couldn't get the Kawasaki engine on a regular basis, so found a bunch of 2.3 liter Ford/Mazda truck motors. 170 flywheel, 149 at the wheels with stock motor. video at the bottom of my web page. American Road Race of Champions Rd Atlanta 2009.

John was in Blountville, TN when I bought the car. He moved to Florida a couple of years ago.

[video]https://youtu.be/-0O5kSz1kWs[/video]

Last edited:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
David, thanks for the links. I found a few articles online during my search to learn more about these cars and I saw your car on a couple different sites. Very cool ride! I won an ebay auction for a 2008 mustang-bodied road race Pro Challenege car but the guy ended up backing out because I took too long trying to find a shipper. The one I was SUPPOSED to get had a 1400cc Kawasaki motor with a sequential transmission. Was basically brand new and I'm upset that I couldn't get it! Now I'm looking for one and can't find anything for sale.

Do you know how these compare in size, power, and performance to Baby Grand racecars? A BG car may be my next option...

David Hester

Established Member
We race with a guy from the Carolinas that has a Baby Grand. About the same size, our car is usually faster the few times we raced togetlher. The Baby Grands with Hyabusas are quicker. There is a fast BMW bodied PC in Atlanta with a fullbuilt Esslinger motor that is making a ton of horsepower, and there was a PC in Florida with a Cosworth 2.3 that was super fast.
Jim and Ron both have a ton of money in their cars.

Last edited:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Have another opportunity to buy a ProChallenge car somewhat locally! Bringing this thread back from the grave because I have a couple questions:

The car that's currently for sale ha the Kawasaki 1100cc motor with sequential transmission. I was told that it's the oval track model.

Any idea what the difference is between the oval track and road race models? The owner said they are identical, but for some reason I think there has to be some difference between the two.

Also, with the motorcycle motor and sequential transmission, I assume there would not be a reverse gear. How would one be able to load/unload it from a trailer? I guess I'd have to have someone push it off while I sit inside and steer the wheel/press the brakes?

David Hester

Established Member
Cars basically the same except how links are set up. Circle cars are setup with weight to the left. Simple as moving. Washers from one side of the hiem joint to the other. I'm not sure about the reverse, but a buddy if mine has one in Atlanta. I'll find out.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Hi David, thanks for that information. Good to know they are essentially the same car. I also heard that the circle cars may have smaller brakes if the original owner did not upgrade them during purchase. I'm going to check out the car sometime this week so hopefully this car has everything I'd need to transition it from an oval track to a road race car.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Dave, I assume you had to add some brake lights to run your car on a road course? If so, how did you set that up?

Here's the car I will be purchasing:
EBF42D24-C6D9-44BD-80EF-0D568635D951_zpstt5ylkyh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread