Anyone have MAC 2.5" catback?

sjw985

Established Member
I'm probably going to hold out for the new AR system, but I did notice a local shop has the 2.5" MAC catback for a pretty good price.

Does anyone have this with stock H & headers? How do you like it? Any drone? Power gains? Sound clips?

I searched around ALOT (this board and others) but it seems very few people have these, or at least talk about them. I know, they're not stainless.

I'm not interested in the 3-inch because I'm not going to be pullying the car anytime soon. I don't want to lose the low end.

Any feedback appreciated.

qwicksnake

Established Member
I have the Mac exhaust on my car and love it. To me its not really loud. My old 01 GT had the same catback with a catted Bassani x pipe and it was way louder. I get tons of compliments on the exhaust note.

sam

Established Member
deep sound and a little rumble when slowing down in gear. the main thing i like is no drone at a certain speed. alot of compliments on the sound. if i get 4 years of use, i will gladly replace it with another one.

sjw985

Established Member
Thanks for the comments... how was the install? Were there any fitment problems? How loud is it when cruising on the highway?

03yellow

Established Member
Originally posted by sjw985
Thanks for the comments... how was the install? Were there any fitment problems? How loud is it when cruising on the highway?

The mac pro chamber hangs low but not the cat back. My car sounds nice and raspy with out cats. There is no drone, just clean raspiness.

My GT used to drone with magna flows . The cobra exhaust sounds much cleaner.The magna flow xpipe and cat back gave me a head ache drone at 2000rpms.

It could be in the pro chamber.
My car runs loud when I'm in the pedal and no drone when I'm out.

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
My buddy has the mac 2.5 w/ a magnaflow catted x and it sounds real good. I like it a lot. I would have got it, but I already have a catback.

sam

Established Member
had mine installed by muffler shop. took them about 30 min. on the mac, the right tailpipe stickout about an inch than the left. this was after the ajustments to strighten them out. this seems to be the norm as alot have said with the fitment of there's. as for cruising sound, you can hold a normal conversation with someone without having to screem at them. it's a good exhaust system to consider. it's way lighter than the stock system too.

sjw985

Established Member
Does anyone have any good quality sound or video clips of the Mac with the stock H?

Sam, a 1 inch difference sounds like alot to me - how noticeable is it when you're looking at it?

Rwick7

Established Member
Originally posted by sam
had mine installed by muffler shop. took them about 30 min. on the mac, the right tailpipe stickout about an inch than the left. this was after the ajustments to strighten them out. this seems to be the norm as alot have said with the fitment of there's. as for cruising sound, you can hold a normal conversation with someone without having to screem at them. it's a good exhaust system to consider. it's way lighter than the stock system too.

Mac just re-did there exhausts...I'm hoping they took care of that problem. They sound the best in my opinion.

sjw985

Established Member
Originally posted by RandyWick
Mac just re-did there exhausts...I'm hoping they took care of that problem. They sound the best in my opinion.

I think you're right - I saw the system on a vendor website, and it was metallic-colored, then when I checked the Mac website it looks like the piping is now black. I guess it's coated with something? What was the point of that?

03SCCOBRA

Established Member
The new mac systems have an anti-corrosive coating on the muffler section. The tailpipe sections are polished. I have the Mac 3" catback on my cobra and I love it. I do have a slight 1/2" to 1" difference in the tailpipe fitment even after i tried to adjust it. not really that noticeable.

sam

Established Member
Does anyone have any good quality sound or video clips of the Mac with the stock H?

Sam, a 1 inch difference sounds like alot to me - how noticeable is it when you're looking at it?

it does not stick out like a sore thumb, but when you stand behind the car and look at the tailpipes, you will see the pass pipe sticks out more than the driverside pipe. just wanted you to be aware of this so when you go to install, your not fighting the fact that this is the way they came and not that you did not install them right. btw, if the price is that good, i would not hessitate to get them.

good luck.

x14

Established Member
Originally posted by sam
it does not stick out like a sore thumb, but when you stand behind the car and look at the tailpipes, you will see the pass pipe sticks out more than the driverside pipe. just wanted you to be aware of this so when you go to install, your not fighting the fact that this is the way they came and not that you did not install them right. btw, if the price is that good, i would not hessitate to get them.

I got their new version which comes in 8 pieces with the HTS coating. Having a problem with the hangers, they keep coming loose so the tailpipe is always out of alignment.

Didn't notice the length difference until today. I always assume it was my problem with the hanger. My dealer tells me MAC is coming out with a fix for the hanger.

Gotta look at the length problem. How can you guys live with one tailpipe longer than the other? Didn't have this problem with Magnaflow on my GT.

trey193

Established Member
Mac 2-1/2 here as well. Fits good I also use a Mac offroad X and its a good combo for the money!!

Sanke Pilot

Established Member
I got mine from Mustang Warehouse. Good prompt service, paid 359.00 to my door. Bolted right up, sound great and at the time I bought them they were touted as the best performance cat back on the market by a few mustang mags. Now I have a UPR test pipe with them and I sound like Dale Jr. down the back straight at Talladega.

x14

Established Member
X14, what's the problem with the hanger? Any idea what the fix entails?

The hanger holds the the tail pipe in position and it keeps coming loose. From what I'm told MAC came up with a whole new hanger system for their new catback. My owner of the performance shop I got it from told me that they got a lot of complaints from their customers that the hanger keeps coming loose therefore making a rattling sound.

The owner and one of his mechanic actually had a bet going on to see how many days it would take me to come back to the shop. The mechanic bet 8, owner bet 3, i came back the next day:( .

I would assume they are going to replace the hanger system with a new one. I hope they come out with it soon.

Love the sound, hate the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread