Anyone have one of those 40GB Ipods?

jpbedard

Established Member
I'm looking into getting one and I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions or feedback about them.

Thanks

hunterp

Established Member
I've got a 10 gig iPod. Works pretty well. You may want to look at other brands as well. Others have the same capacity for $100-$150 less.

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
I've got, and prefer the Creative Nomad Zen. It is the 2nd version with the USB2 port and 20gig memory. Much less expensive than the Ipod products, and much more user friendly when file swapping. Per a suggestion from another thread here, I got the PIE adapter, and now have it wired directly to the head unit in the Cobra. The newer Nomads are available with 30, 40, or even 60 gigs. The new 30 gig version has a replaceable battery, and cost $60 less than my older 20 gig model. the 30 goes for about $239, compare that to the cost of an equivelent Ipod ($400-500).

95_XB331

Established Member
I have a 20G, my GF has a 40G. I have the older style buttons, which IMO are better. I have 460 songs so far, she has 375. We're both less than 50% capacity ! (she's like 15%!)...

Mine has handled a lot of abuse--drop on concrete, dropped in metro bus, metro rail, scratches, etc... but keeps on ticking :). Her's (current design) is a bit flaky--the battery charge doesn't hold as well. Overall, I think the new mini has the best form factor of the 3, but it doesn't hold as much (doh). Also, not sure of the other brands, but with the iPod, you get cool DSP enhancer modes (jazz,rock,voice,deep,hip-hop, etc.). The iPod is basically a PDA too-calendar functions, addresses, etc...

If you want to spend the bucks, you can get a car holder/FM transmitter (Berklin?) that plugs nicely into you AUX power port and it holds the iPod as well--it's pretty trick. I'm using a cassette adapter, run great.

nope, don't work for apple (Palm maybe ;-) )

Last edited:

jpbedard

Established Member
How can you tell the difference between a 3rd gen Ipod vs the Rest? 3rd Gen is as good I guess?

Taylor04

**** it, Run it!
Established Member
I have a 10 gig. Like posted above I like the older buttons as on mine better than the new ones. Abuse wise, hell I have dropped and screwed mine up so many damn times and it works perfect just like the day I got it. I have about 8 gigs on it, works like a charm. I think its the best of the best, friends have other brands but I like the iPod. I have the FM transmitter (Belkin) and it works great in the mach. And user friendly, I dont know what could be any more easier, it takes like 5 seconds to do what I want, and its incredibly easy. Hooks right up to my powerbook and even our gateway, works with both. I think its the best...:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

pottsy

Established Member
I bought the 20 gig version a couple of months ago with several accessories, and I love it. There may be other MP3 players with similar capacities for less, but in my opinion none match the design, quality, or features of the iPod--not to mention the seamless file transfers availible with iTunes and the iPod. I will say this, though--if you get one, stay away from FM transmitters...the sound quality is horrible unless you are out in the middle of nowhere (and I mean hours outside of a city).

Aaron_01

Banned
I'm think I'm going to get a 20G iPod. I don't know why you would get the 40G. The 20 holds like 4,000 songs, I doubt you have that many. I like the iPod because it's not just an MP3 player, like mentioned before it's a PDA as well. Not many MP3 players can boast that. Sure the newer models have some problems with the batteries not lasting the full 8 hours, but seriously who uses it for 8 hours straight?

jpbedard

Established Member
Originally posted by 2SkrewdCobra
I'm think I'm going to get a 20G iPod. I don't know why you would get the 40G. The 20 holds like 4,000 songs, I doubt you have that many. I like the iPod because it's not just an MP3 player, like mentioned before it's a PDA as well. Not many MP3 players can boast that. Sure the newer models have some problems with the batteries not lasting the full 8 hours, but seriously who uses it for 8 hours straight?

Imac claims 4000 songs almost CD Quality. All of My songs are CD quality and above. A few of my songs are 5 minutes and are ~50Mb.

What is this whole Itune stuff? You can use this Ipod with a Windows OS right?

nj7703

Established Member
I have the 40 gig with a little over 6800 songs on it. I love it, no matter where i go i have music. I have the FM transmitter so i can play it in the Cobra as well, thru the cars speakers. It is my primary music source now, and itunes is cool for buying music as well. I like the new style, no complaints.

Aaron_01

Banned
Originally posted by slick4_6
Has anyone installed a Nomad in a 99 Cobra. I know it will work in the 03s but will it work in mine?

http://www.nomadworld.com/

Nomad

Unlike the ipod, this will play wma.
Cheaper too.

Nomad

Thanks for posting that link. I think that (Zen Touch) is 10x better than the iPod. I don't know if it will work in your car. If it will work in the 03 it should work for you. The Mach head units are pretty much the same so I can't see why not

Last edited by a moderator:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I love my 20gb iPod!

For those who want to use it in the car. The Griffin iTrip is a POS.
The TransPod FM made by Digital Lifestyle Outfitters (DLO) works very well.

LINK

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
How many megabites are in a GB?

When you use the FM transmitter, does it transfer it to your radio and sound like cd quality? Cause the radio itself sucks compared to the sound of cds.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by gyacopetti
How many megabites are in a GB?

When you use the FM transmitter, does it transfer it to your radio and sound like cd quality? Cause the radio itself sucks compared to the sound of cds.

It's not CD quality, but better than "normal" radio, and a lot better than Tape. I will not say it is CD quality, but in the mustang the music is 2ndary. I have a cassette adapter for my beater, and using that adapter it is CD quality.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
For better sound quality, you can plug an iPod directly into any aftermarket head unit with an auxillary input.
Alpine will soon have a unit on the market that will give you access to the iPod controls. That's what I'm waiting for.
Or you can buy a new BMW...their stereo is iPod ready. :(

Users who are viewing this thread