Anyone have pics of Kenny Brown Sport Springs???

WIKDWS6

Established Member
I just bought a set Kenny Brown Sport Springs off Ebay because after searching I heard several good things about them, but most of the pics were expired. I got a great deal on them, but I would like to get a better idea of what they will look like installed. I would like a pretty good, raked drop, almost no wheel gap in front, and a small gap in the rear. These are coming of a 99 Cobra and going on my 03. Using search I saw many people did this. Also, to anyone running these springs, do you like them? Are you using C/C plates with them. Thanks guys.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
i dont want to rain on your parade, 99 cobra springs will not work on the 03-04 cobra, you can get them on, but will raise the back end and do nothing for the front end, maybe lower it 1/2". been there, done that, doesn't work. i have the 03-04 kenny's on my cobra, they are very good, if you want them then you must buy them here.... http://www.v8power.com/cat--Mustang-Performance-Springs--spri.html

WIKDWS6

Established Member
That doesn't really make any sense because the suspension is pretty much the same, only with better shocks and a heavier engine. I would think that if anything it would lower the car more. What do you think?

WIKDWS6

Established Member
Quote I found by SVTdubs -

" I think that redlines car has the 03 specific KB springs and I have the 99-01 specific springs. Im not sure the difference but they look the same. The 03 specific springs werent out when I ordered mine. As you can see, you cant go wrong with either KB spring! "

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
you just gotta try them on and see what you think, it didn't work for me. i sent the 99's back and got the 03-04's when they came available and they had the drop that i was looking for. the rear suspension was updated on the 03-04's and

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The springs should be exactly the same. The only difference I can see is the front springs might not be as stiff because the 03/04 had an iron block with a blower and the earlier cobras were Al block N/A. The front suspension on mustangs has been the same since at least 95 and all the IRS's were the same with the exception of the little bar they put on them in 03. Look at Maximum Motorsports, the springs for IRS cars are made for 99-04.

KB springs lower the car quite a bit. SVTDubs had them on his vert and it was slammed. You'll probably like the way it looks.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
There apparently is some difference. These are the part numbers of the springs that they made for these years: This comes from the KB installation sheet. Sorry, I don't have the spring rates. They didn't like to publish this.

KBP-85230 are for 99-01 Cobra Coupes
KBP-85240 are for 99-01 Cobra Convertibles
KBP-85235 are for 03/04 Cobra Coupes
KBP-85245 are for 03/04 Cobra Convertibles

WIKDWS6

Established Member
I think I am going to put no iso's up front, and top iso's in the rear. I'm thinking that will look, raked and low.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I guess that'll work. Not sure if SVTdubs had his iso's in or not, but his car had NO fender gap.

nightstalker865

Established Member
Kenny Browns with stock isolators on my old car. I ran these for 2 years before I bought the H&R race. I loved them, but they are just a little soft for track use.

2d1l4yd.jpg

2rra2x2.jpg

2vje54i.jpg

Taz

Established Member
The front spring rates of the 03/04 Kenny Browns are considerably higher than the rates of the Kenny Brown 99/01 sport springs. Both are linear rate springs, but 03/04 springs are 720 lb/in up front, while the 99/01's are 620. I don't know the rates of the KB 99/01 rear springs, but the KB 03/04 rears are 825 lb/in.

BTW, the KB springs are the only ones I know of that provide higher specific rates out back than up front. This is to reduce understeer by allowing just a bit more roll in front than in the back. If you like to drive the road course or autocross, it makes a difference. Otherwise, it's just a bit of useless trivia.

I used to run the H&R Sport springs on my '01, and they performed well until I added the weight of an intercooled twin screw to the nose of the car. Then, the front end began to feel a little too loose and began to bottom out during hard driving. I switched to the 03/04 Kenny Browns, and they've been outstanding with respect to improved control. No more bottoming, and no scraping since I switched.

More useless trivia: for a while the KB springs were marketed under the "Engineered Performance" name. (I bought mine during that period, so I know.) Same fabricator, same specs, same part numbers, just called EP springs, rather than KB. Anyway, if you run across a pair of used 03/04 EP springs, they'd be a safe bet for your application.

Hope this helps.

nightstalker865

Established Member
The front spring rates of the 03/04 Kenny Browns are considerably higher than the rates of the Kenny Brown 99/01 sport springs. Both are linear rate springs, but 03/04 springs are 720 lb/in up front, while the 99/01's are 620. I don't know the rates of the KB 99/01 rear springs, but the KB 03/04 rears are 825 lb/in.

BTW, the KB springs are the only ones I know of that provide higher specific rates out back than up front. This is to reduce understeer by allowing just a bit more roll in front than in the back. If you like to drive the road course or autocross, it makes a difference. Otherwise, it's just a bit of useless trivia.

I used to run the H&R Sport springs on my '01, and they performed well until I added the weight of an intercooled twin screw to the nose of the car. Then, the front end began to feel a little too loose and began to bottom out during hard driving. I switched to the 03/04 Kenny Browns, and they've been outstanding with respect to improved control. No more bottoming, and no scraping since I switched.

More useless trivia: for a while the KB springs were marketed under the "Engineered Performance" name. (I bought mine during that period, so I know.) Same fabricator, same specs, same part numbers, just called EP springs, rather than KB. Anyway, if you run across a pair of used 03/04 EP springs, they'd be a safe bet for your application.

Hope this helps.

When I bought my KB springs they told me that the club sports for the 03/04 cobras are 600lb linear rate front and rear. Exactly what the stock ones are they were just a bit shorter. This info came straight from KB. I bought these back in 04.

Users who are viewing this thread