Anyone have some Whipple 2.9 install instructions handy?

hatchke

Established Member
I have an older Gen 2 Whipple 2.9 with the standard inlet that I installed, and I'm hearing mixed things on the install. My unit came with Whipple 2.3 install instructions, which I figured were totally fine because it all seemed similar enough in concept.

My issue is where it comes to the discharge plate and some o-rings that were potentially needed to install? I didn't see any o-rings anywhere, nor did the 2.3 instructions (obviously) mention anything about this so I'm afraid that this is where my idle/vacuum issues are coming from.

Anyone have instructions or a PDF handy and/or could send me a few pics of the part of the instructions that cover this portion with the discharge plate? I don't really want to remove the thing again, but hey, mistakes happen.

Albatross

Established Member
I have instructions somewhere in my garage. I just got done installing a 2.9 and don't recall anything regarding orings on the discharge plate. There is a gasket that goes between the plate and the lower intake. What kind of issues are you having? Did you plug the bottom of the lower intake? Have you checked to make sure your bypass valve is functioning properly?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
where did you get the blower from? Have you tried contacting whipple directly?
I have gen3 2.9 but I did not put it together so I can't comment on the installation

hatchke

Established Member
Thanks guys - I did hear back from Whipple again and they said they supply the 2.3 instructions with the 2.9 and that they pre-install the o-rings for the discharge. The first time I reached out to Whipple the tech asked me if I had installed the o-rings and separated the discharge plate which sent me reeling a bit. Seems like i'm ok there so it's likely a false alarm.

I did plug the bottom of the lower intake as and am using breathers on the valve covers now. My issues now are just idle related with it barely wanting to stay alive. On my startup tune from Blankenship it eventually throws at P2195 and P2197 (lean codes) and the idle goes to hell. If I clear the codes the idle bounces back and it actually does ok. Sits around 1k and pulls 15-20" vacuum.

I'm starting to treat it like a vacuum leak, maybe it didn't seat well against the intake manifold gaskets as I had problems with the passenger lining up a bit. I'll troubleshoot some more and see what i'm working with.

The bypass valve is working, although I don't know how correctly. It's hard to tell with the engine struggling to idle so it's opening/closing a lot. It pops open on initial crank at least. I was also able to drive the car a little bit and it doesn't feel great at part-throttle driving but does build boost and feels totally fine when tipping into boost a little.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Thanks guys - I did hear back from Whipple again and they said they supply the 2.3 instructions with the 2.9 and that they pre-install the o-rings for the discharge. The first time I reached out to Whipple the tech asked me if I had installed the o-rings and separated the discharge plate which sent me reeling a bit. Seems like i'm ok there so it's likely a false alarm.

I did plug the bottom of the lower intake as and am using breathers on the valve covers now. My issues now are just idle related with it barely wanting to stay alive. On my startup tune from Blankenship it eventually throws at P2195 and P2197 (lean codes) and the idle goes to hell. If I clear the codes the idle bounces back and it actually does ok. Sits around 1k and pulls 15-20" vacuum.

I'm starting to treat it like a vacuum leak, maybe it didn't seat well against the intake manifold gaskets as I had problems with the passenger lining up a bit. I'll troubleshoot some more and see what i'm working with.

The bypass valve is working, although I don't know how correctly. It's hard to tell with the engine struggling to idle so it's opening/closing a lot. It pops open on initial crank at least. I was also able to drive the car a little bit and it doesn't feel great at part-throttle driving but does build boost and feels totally fine when tipping into boost a little.
Sounds tune related. Are you datalogging? Wonder where your fuel trims are at? My base tune need a lot of fuel added to it down low and I had very similar symptoms. I had no vaccuum leaks.

hatchke

Established Member
Sounds tune related. Are you datalogging? Wonder where your fuel trims are at? My base tune need a lot of fuel added to it down low and I had very similar symptoms. I had no vaccuum leaks.

Very good to know, I'll see where the trims are when I get back wrenching on it

Users who are viewing this thread