Anyone have this issue with their shifter?

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I installed a Tri-Ax earlier this year. A few months ago the shift knob (stock mach knob) came lose. To get it fully tight on the tri-ax handle, the knob is crooked with the shift pattern is rotated, almost 90 degrees. I know its not a big issue, but small details out of place bug me. After first installing, it was tight and straight. All that happened since then was normal driving. I was just curious if anyone else had this happen.

MachJoe98

Make it Bacon
Established Member
Had the same issue with my shift knob, when fully tightened the pattern was completely crooked. I put some locktite on the threads and set the knob where I wanted, seems to have worked well.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Had the same issue with my shift knob, when fully tightened the pattern was completely crooked. I put some locktite on the threads and set the knob where I wanted, seems to have worked well.

locktite?! Please tell me you meant to say teflon tape....

OP, do NOT use locktite. A few rounds of teflon tape in a clockwise direction (when facing down on the shifter handle) around the threads and you will be good to align the knob as you please and not have to fight to get it off later.

MachJoe98

Make it Bacon
Established Member
Yes locktite. The knob is large enough where you can break it loose with your hand if you need to take the shifter off. Teflon tape would work as well.

TKat13

Under Construction
Established Member
locktite?! Please tell me you meant to say teflon tape....

OP, do NOT use locktite. A few rounds of teflon tape in a clockwise direction (when facing down on the shifter handle) around the threads and you will be good to align the knob as you please and not have to fight to get it off later.

x2, I have also put a thick o-ring that I had laying around at the bottom of the threads,worked great as well.

MachJoe

Established Member
I had the same problem when I put my tri-ax in. But when I took it to the shop for a new clutch, they seemed to fix it and I haven't had that problem since :shrug:

OW99

Established Member
I took an angle grinder to the top of the handle. Made it lower too. It took awhile to get the knob perfectly straight again though.

Users who are viewing this thread