Anyone hear know alot about jetski's?

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Anyone here know alot about jetski's?

I am looking to buy a 3 seater and I need some advice! I am leaning toward a Honda 4 Stroke Turbo 3 seater (F12x)....

I would appreciate any feedback...

Last edited:

JWL3310

Established Member
First I would just like to introduce myself (couldn't pass this post about PWC's up) my name is Jamie and I live in New England. Right now only own a Vert V6 but looking to upgrade soon.

Anyway, concerning a three seater PWC there are many brands to look at. Like you said, the honda three seater is turbocharged and rated at 165 HP. (F-12x) on the water this will get you around 59.8 MPH (highest I've heard of by GPS), but look for upgrades on the forum at www.pwctoday.com.

Specifically what are you looking for? Speed, maneuverability, acceleration, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, cruising? Also, where are you going to be riding?

Some other choices are the Seadoo GTX 4-TEC Supercharged (185 HP) and the RXP (215 intercooled supercharcher). Polaris has been having all too much trouble with their new MSX line of watercraft, so I'd give them a year or two to see how people like them. You might also like to look at the Kawasaki STX-15F (160 HP) normally aspirated and maybe one of the Yamaha FX- HO (I believe 160 HP also due to a supercharger).

I myself own a 2003 4-TEC SC which goes around 61-62 with lots of acceleration. I myself don't have many complaints about it, except for some little things. One of the things is the weight, its not as playful as the Kawi or the Honda, (about the same as the yamaha) but I ride in rough water usually with more than one person, so it works out. Also the jet pump is made out of composite, but that was fixed for 2004 ( i think its aluminum now) and then there is the off powered assisted steering or OPAS as seadoo calls it. Basically they are little rudders that drop when the throttle is let go so you can still steer, however it handles alot better when you take them off or block them up because they can get stuck in the down position.

I really think you should look into the new STX-15F from Kawasaki. Its a bit smaller but still a three seater, has a great hull for rough water, feels a lot more agile and makes 160 HP without a blower of any kind. (Have heard of some Honda turbo's going, and there was also something wrong with the supercharger clutch on the SC Seadoo's (easy fix). Supposedly will get anywhere from 59-62 so it keeps up with the rest. Also I've heard from those who have ridden it that it has insane acceleration, pulling even harder than the STX-R, kawasaki's two stroke racing platform. So basically it should pull harder than the rest, except for maybe the RXP.

The RXP is a two-seater built off of Seadoo's GTI hull (three seater) so it is a huge two seater. Seadoo added an intercooler to their Supercharged 1500CC rotax engine that bumped up the horsepower to 215. If you look on boards such as PWCTODAY.com and sea-doo.net, rivayamaha.com, ultra150.com you can find out more, but I've heard the RXP should range from 64-66 MPH.

Hope this has helped, and make sure you don't let some biased people on these boards convince you to go one way or another.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a Kaw 1100 ZXI. Kaw makes a very good machine. SD's quality is a bit questionable to me. i like the turbo Honda but 10k is a little steep of a price for me. What exacly are you looking for in one?

JWL3310

Established Member
Yeah that topic on Seadoo's reliability comes out a lot. I think they have really gotten it together though in the last few years. If you look at them closely you will see a huge list of innovative features, and the fit and finish can't be beat. I think the questions of seadoo's reliability peaked in 1998 with the XP. It was outfitted with a 951 cc 130 HP engine that had water ingestion issues. However, that was fixed up and since 2000 and up they have been pretty much spotless. Its kind of like the powervalves in the Yamaha's popular 1200R and 1300R. As of now it is (or from what I have witnessed) a stereotype. For seadoo its "reliability" for yamaha its "powervalves" for Kawasaki its the "lack of innovation" because they haven't done much, or rather haven't led the charge in recent years. (in the 4 stroke category you are looking at). For example, though their STX hull is great, it hasn't changed much, and people interpret that as lack of technology. I do however think that I would get the Kawasaki STX-15F but not because the Seadoo isn't reliable. For me it has been completely bulletproof. I think I would like the agility of the STX-15F more. The kawasaki also has a great price compared to the rest. List price for the honda's and seadoo's and yamaha's are right around the 10K to 10,400 range, but never pay that. When I got my SC i think the base price was 10,299 + tax + freight + prep + options such as cover + and sometimes they try to charge you for a trailer. (dealer should give you stuff like a fire extinguisher atleast 2 lifevests, etc. In the end I think I paid 9600 for the ski, 6%tax, trailer, lifevests, extinguisher, cover, and maybe a few little things. Haggled him down so I didn't have to pay freight or prep. If you can find a really low price, even if the dealership is far away, ask them if they can match prices. At the time I had heard of other people paying 11,200 and up for what I got.

Another note, don't listen to dealer's on speed numbers or anything, as well as the speedometer, only GPS or Radar. Was at the Connecticut Expo Center Boat Show the other day and the guy from Honda preceded to tell me that the Honda's went upwards of 70 mph stock. After hearing that I laughed in his face and walked away.

Hope this helps

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
I LOVE jetskis

I myself have a 2002 Yamaha GP1200R (2 seater) which goes about 65mph. Can't go wrong with Kawa or Yama, their reliabity is the best hands down. I have heard of issues and concerns with SD's supercharger, but other than that SD is a good choice.

I'd look into the FX160HO like JWL3310 suggested. Also pick up Watercraft World and Watercraft Illustrated, they have buyers guides that may help.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Originally posted by JWL3310
You might also like to look at the Kawasaki STX-15F (160 HP) normally aspirated and maybe one of the Yamaha FX- HO (I believe 160 HP also due to a supercharger).

The FX-HO is NOT supercharged

Displacement was increased from 998cc to 1052cc and compression was increased from 11.4 to 11.9. Also bigger throttle bodies were used than the standard FX's.

JWL3310

Established Member
yeah thats right, my bad, the FX HO is not blown, I was thinking of mods that riva is doing for it. I still kind of think that the STX-15F is the best choice because it makes considerable power without a blower, and or, revving its engine to 10,000 rpm's.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Originally posted by sid297
Call me old fashioned but I still like big 2-strokes with carbs. The 215hp SD is very appealing though.
I agree
I kinda think some manufactures are rushing this 4stroke technology way too fast. It wasn't but 2 or 3 years ago they first came out and now we have some pushing 200 hp with superchargers. I may be towing in alot of SeaDoos again this season :lol:

JWL3310

Established Member
Originally posted by MattNCSU
I agree
I kinda think some manufactures are rushing this 4stroke technology way too fast. It wasn't but 2 or 3 years ago they first came out and now we have some pushing 200 hp with superchargers. I may be towing in alot of SeaDoos again this season :lol:

oh god, not the "towing back a seadoo" bit. I've heard this before. If we are going into the stereotypical jetski area how are those powervalves? By the way what mods do you have on the 1200R to get it to 65mph?

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
a stock 1200gpr WILL run 64-65mph

I have a intake grate, sealed pump, solas 13/19. very minimal mods I know...

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
speedo
Yes I know of the inaccuracies of that, that is why I have left out the bit where I have seen much higher speeds on lower tanks of gas.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Originally posted by JWL3310
haha nice, speedo can fluctuate through all sorts of reasons, I once saw a 71 MPH on my SC.
like I said I have seen higher speeds on mine as well and I know its bs

It is amazing though when I talk to people on the beach and hear crap about how their's goes 75-80 and are dead serious. Sure... :rollseyes:

JWL3310

Established Member
yeah its crazy, around martha's vineyard where I ride, (gets really rough sometimes) I saw a guy on a ultra who claimed his stock went 80+! I played along a bit and he wanted to show me so we lined up and took off. I pretty much killed him because the water was rough. (If it was glass he would have smoked me, considering how small, agile, light they are, I think around 64-66 stock). He was getting banged around a lot, but got up to speed when we passed an inlet and slowed down. I showed him how my GPS said 61.9 and he couldn't believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread