anyone here done the irs solid axle swap and what gears

zepfloyd69

ok been looking for someone to swap my irs for their solid axle and have a few questions.

has anyone here done this to their cobra yet?
and the rear i would be trading for has 4.30 gears in it, would this be too much gear for my car? think it might
and is there anything in particular i should know about in doing this, do i need to buy or have anything made specifically the driveshaft do i need to have a new one made or will the stock one work?

thanks for all the help

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
What is the primary use of the car???? 4.30's on street tires at the track or on the street will make existing traction issues even worse. I've been looking into the gear thing as well but what I think it comes down to is what suspension mods you do to increase traction. Seems like the stock gears or 3.73's are the way to go if your not going to get some serious traction.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The Cobra D/S will work if you install the Cobra pinion flange on the diff.
Or you could install the GT yoke on the D/S maybe, haven't tried that.

If you want to reuse the Cobra brakes, you'll need early Cobra (non-IRS) caliper brackets installed on the axle ends. 97 will work for sure.

Other than that, it is a fairly straight forward swap and the rest should be fairly obvious.

And anything higher than a 3.73 is a waste. The last thing you need is more torque on the launch. And you'll be running out of motor on the top end unless you go into 5th.
I guess you could always run 28 inch tires though...
That would knock it down to around 3.83 or so.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread