Anyone here lay tile or do home renovations???

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
Hey guys, redoing my basement and I got about 600sqft of lenolium on concrete that needs to go.

My method-heat gun and razor blade to strip all that I can, concrete stripper to get off some more glue. I get about 75-80% of the glue off that way.

My question-how much glue has to be off the concrete in order to lay the tile down? All, none, somewhere in between. I'm anal as shit and trying to get 100% of the glue off. Also any strippers that really work?

TIA guys

prostkr

Established Member
I lay tile over linoleum all the time. To bad you didn't ask before tearing it up.

If the glue is stuck down good I would use a belt sander and go over it quick to smooth it out and be done with it.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
well, enter bad words here, its not all up yet. Was doing it in sections to not get overwhelmed with the project. Thanks for the heads up man. Much appreciated

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
This afternoon, I laid pipe for a young lady I happen to live with. She was most appreciative of the job I did.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
get it all even is your best bet now, use a grinder to lightly pass over the floor. the thin set you lay will be about a quarter of an inch high and grooved. I would be more concerned with low or high spots on the concrete floor. Those need to be ground down, and he low spots filled with floor leveler. Its a pain but prepping the floor is your best bet to avoid cracking later on and uneven tiles.

Don't forget to grid out the entire floor, it will help you if you to make sure you are not getting crooked as you go if your working on a larger floor space.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Wow, thanks for the useful piece of information.

Thanks s x i

Oh, I forgot. Everything in life should be serious.

My advice is to try a forum that's dedicated to this type of thing. You will find a more concentrated group of people who do this for a living.

Is that better?

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
rply

well you can get a set that adheres to laminate as for glue not sure. ive gone over the glue haven't ever had a problem you can level your tile by how much set you put down. modified thin set or polymer thin set same thing really should work cost more than unmodified though. i have done a 3 dozen full tile bath rooms walls showers back splash ext. good luck shoot a pm if you have any questions

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Wow, would never even think of laying tile over linoleum. Guessing this would only work in a glue down situation. OP - wear breathing protection when removing the old glue. Not sure how old your home is but asbestos based glues were commonly used back in the day. I have a 100 unit building under renovation now and we had to bring in specialized crews to remove the flooring and popcorn ceilings.

Since Overkill tends to be my middle name I would likely lay a hardi board down and say the heck with removing the glue. Then I would thinset the tile down. Either way, good luck with your project!

Users who are viewing this thread