anyone here regret going turbo

Joyrider564

Established Member
It all depends on what you want.

I gave up a turbo Cobra, for a TVS Cobra. I am keeping the TVS Cobra, and going to do another Turbo build soon, on a different car.

I will say this, there aren't many cars on the road that could "yank" my TVS Cobra from a 40. My car wants to rip the world in half when going WOT from 40 in 2nd gear. The feeling of a Turbo/s "coming on" is just amazing, but so is the instant hit from a TS/TVS car, assuming you can hook.

This is very true. I raced a 650rwhp 2.3 whipple car from 40 and he jumped out on me hard. Even if I brake boosted he took the jump and I would have to reel him in. That instant torque hit is nuts if you can get it to hook.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I did a custom single kit. With my turbo blanket and exhaust wrap i can keep my hand on the down pipe when the car is running so there isnt much if any extra heat from a turbo setup if its wrapped. As far as weight im 60ish lbs lighter with the turbo then eaton. Now i have just a down pipe and stock k member so i would guess with a full exhaust it would be about the same weight. I love my turbo and i dont ever plan to build another car that wouldnt get a turbo. I also am now planning to go auto. T56 is fun but im over a notchy poor shifting trans plus a turbo and auto go together to well to keep the t56.

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
I've had 3 different turbo setups on the car in 8 years (first helion style/custom 66mm kit t56, forward facing 78mm auto, forward facing 75mm t56) Of all the little problems i've had i would still never go back to a pd blower. For instance the car is now on a 6lb wg spring and with a low compression motor still traps 120-122, you would need a good bit of spray or a ported blower and a ton of bolt ons to get near that and even so, you're only on 6lbs with a turbo. It's efficient, balls fast and no blower will ever compare to a screaming turbo with open wastegate dump. Pound for pound a blower will never be as efficient, and currently i've been on the same spec 3 clutch only rated for 650ft/lbs for 2 years now and no slipping whatsoever (car made 810/730 for the majority of its life). Turbos are for most due to the high cost and complicity, but it's a "never going back" scenario for most if done PROPERLY.

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
right on. I wanted to go turbo but I am keeping my cobra supercharged. Maybe down the line ill pick up a cheap 5.0 automatic and turbo that thing.

I have had plenty of roll races with cars that make gobs of torque off the hit, and still hung with or pulled the "instant" torque giants with the turbo....like i said when done PROPERLY, a turbo setup is impossible to beat with any pd blower.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Regret Turbo....Hell yes. Supercharger kits are way ahead for reliable operation.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Mine wasn't laggy at all with the 6 speed. I ended up going auto because of clutch issues. I couldn't find a clutch that I liked on the street that would hold up to 5200rpm launches at the track. After a few trial and errors, I just went with the auto.

If you keep your turbos at a reasonable size, then you won't have lag issues. With the 6-speed, I saw full boost at 3200 rpms, and had no issues opening the wastegates with the SCT 2-step. Of course, having the auto with a transbrake just kind of does all that work for you.

Jerry03cobra

Established Member
For the guys doing TH400 I am doing it too. What do you do the transmission harness? Do you just use it for the o2 sensors.

Any help will work thanks...

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
Mine wasn't laggy at all with the 6 speed. I ended up going auto because of clutch issues. I couldn't find a clutch that I liked on the street that would hold up to 5200rpm launches at the track. After a few trial and errors, I just went with the auto.

If you keep your turbos at a reasonable size, then you won't have lag issues. With the 6-speed, I saw full boost at 3200 rpms, and had no issues opening the wastegates with the SCT 2-step. Of course, having the auto with a transbrake just kind of does all that work for you.

What turbo did you have my set up is a built teskid 5.0 ported heads houston s292 cams im lookin at a pte7675bb .96 ar

Users who are viewing this thread