anyone here regret going turbo

cobracrazee

Established Member
have to ask guys, Lethal is having 10% off on theire 3.4 whipples. My car is a daily driver, i want reliable but same time a fast car. Can a stock 3.4 whipple with crusher make close hp to a single 76mm bb billet wheel turbo? Is owning a turbo car a hassle? I'm thinking money wise single turbo should cost the same as a supercharger with headers. Also i have the fuel system and clutch, but the engine is stock 04 termi. Thx

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
going turbo has a shit ton of hidden costs
it is way more complicated to get dialed in and not as many people can tune a turbo car well like they can a simple roots/twin screw car
its way more fun to me, car sounds stock quiet and popping the hood on a mustang with a big snail gets lots of attention out on the town

f2hatch

Established Member
Ok I'm probably the only one who will say this but yes I regret going turbo. pound for pound the turbo made more power and that is the only plus i can think of. The car was fun to drive but no more then my ported Eaton on spray was. I hated the engine bay with the turbo it was way to cluttered for my taste(76MM single turbo). Car sounded like crap and I tried about 5 different exhaust combos. I had issues with the return line making the car smoke so much I refused to drive it my car has had a ton of little problems and all turbo related. I fixed all those issues at this point my car is still a complete burden and zero fun and now my motor blew up. And now made the decision I no longer wanted the turbo and with the new engine goes on a 3.4 Whipple crusher and I look forward to my car being fun again.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I've been thinking about going back to a twin screw setup seeing as how people are routinely getting over 700 with the new blowers on e85. My particular setup isn't that much fun on the streets, mostly due to the basic turbos and Sullivan upper/lower intake, I don't see full boost until north of 5500 rpms. Another headache is the downpipes going underneath the k-member, I can't lower the front of the car at all. There is no space to route them through the k-member either, I've checked every way possible.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
with twin 64's and a sullivan the car wasn't setup to spool fast....my car with the th400 and 76mm would spool instantly

a turbo car needs to be a complete setup to be fast not just a bunch of random stuff put together

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I have a full 3" exhaust (with cutouts) and a custom sheetmetal front facing intake in the works, we'll see what the does for spool time. Hopefully next year I will pick up a couple of Precisions.

f2hatch

Established Member
My car is auto and had no problem spooling. And still didn't care for it. I have come to realize I'm just not a turbo guy.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
Well my setup was just finished. I have a t71 precision billet wheel turbo. This is on a forward facing header setup. So far I have no complaints. I don't miss my whipple yet.

Joyrider564

Established Member
I like my TT car. Twin 57s (old garrett cast wheel t3/t4), 6 speed, sullivan upper and lower, and mcleod RXT clutch. Sure, I have had a bunch of little things go wrong with it, but it is a damn blast to drive. Doing some upgrades to it now (billet compressor wheels, fuel pump, gauges etc.) but I have no complaints with the car.

I have ridden and driven 700-800 RWHP blower cars, and they are flat out nasty. Either setup is fine, I just prefer the sound of turbo spool over blower whine.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I hated the power curve of my PD blower cars. All it could ever do was blow the tires off. However, a "cheap" turbo car will suck to drive on the street. Cheap coil overs and tubular suspension parts will make noise and handle like shit and using old turbo's or oversized turbo's with high rpm intakes/cams kill the street manners. My car is set up to make tons of low end power and it does that. I absolutely love the power band of my car with the way I have it set up and it still makes 650+rwhp on pump gas and reliable enough to drive 1400 miles on a roadtrip. I am still a 6speed car and start seeing boost as early as 2200-2400 rpm.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I want to first say, that other than dealing with an oil drainback issue 8 years ago, I have not had any problems with my turbo kit. However, there are times when I regret going turbo. These turbos simply made the car different, not necessarily worse, just different. The battle I fought with it was with clutches. I couldn't find a clutch that held the power with slicks that I liked on the street. This was years ago, so there may be other options now. It was the reason I went to the automatic. A roll cage and noisy suspension soon followed. I still love the car, but it is something I do not consider to be a daily driver.

Now, for a "not daily driver", that you can take out for cruises and just have a good time.... I have no regrets! This bitch is fun to drive!

For the track.... I love the turbos, but I haven't been able to go in 6 years. It really pains me to say that.

Keep in mind, I turbo'd my car in 2005. If you wanted more than 600rwp you needed get creative. The KB 2.2 and whipple 2.3 were all the rage back then. The KB 2.4 was out, and the Procharger kit was a touchy subject to say the least. All those screw blowers were stuck in the 600rwhp range.

If all these big blowers were around 8 years ago, I may have skipped the turbo idea and went with a big screw blower, but I haven't touched a pulley or a belt on my car in 8 years. I have no problem with that.

Joyrider564

Established Member
Off topic: Last 3 people to post in these threads have OW cars lol f2hatch is the only OW car that doesn't like his turbo.

kweb288

Established Member
I went eaton, ported eaton, turbo and I love the turbo. It feels like u are in the millennium falcon hitting light speed as the boost comes in :) but like stated everything has to work together in order for it to be a street able set up. Oh and agreed on hidden costs, I built my set up from scratch and I didn't realize all the small bs parts I needed to make It work. To go turbo it cost me about 12k

Elwood617

Established Member
Subbing to learn more. I would really love to go turbo, but it looks like I wouldn't be able to retain my front sway bar or front z-brace. As of right now I'm leaning towards a Paxton or Procharger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread