Anyone here sit for the Project Managers Exam

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
The wife is prepping to sit for her exam in a couple weeks... any tips, or pointers for her?

I've heard it rough but I don't know...I told her if I could pass the NCLEX she can pass this shit

Tks
Wrong forum damn...mods please move to roadside...tks again sorry I'm a retard lol

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
She needs to take a PMP boot camp. The PMP test is one of the toughest tests out there. I employ several PMP's and my daughter is a PMP. All needed the boot camp to pass the test.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
She needs to take a PMP boot camp. The PMP test is one of the toughest tests out there. I employ several PMP's and my daughter is a PMP. All needed the boot camp to pass the test.

She wrapped that up last week

tistan

Established Member
pretty much any enterprise, public or private. on top of the test, you need 4,000 hours of document work in the field to get the certificate
I never had to test for project management in construction. It doesn't apply to all project management.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Then she needs to do prep as instructed and take the test.

After passing the test she needs to begin interviewing and double her salary.
She has been workin on the prep for the last week or so...I told her to schedule her exam asap while the shit is still fresh in her head

Machdup1

Established Member
She has been workin on the prep for the last week or so...I told her to schedule her exam asap while the shit is still fresh in her head
Good advice. If she fails(the failure is very high), she should study and take it again.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I never had to test for project management in construction. It doesn't apply to all project management.
maybe i should rephrase, not every company/business require the PMP, but it gives you a leg up on others to show project mgt experience in a lot of career fields

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I think guessing construction/manufacturing "Project Managers" are different than "Project Managers" in more commercial/business development fields are. I was a PM at both manufacturing/construction but the ones my wife hires for their insurance company are totally different. That's a job ill never ****ing touch again; everything is your fault, theres not enough CYA in the world to help you, you can do 999,999 things perfect and not get a single peep or praise about it, but you're gonna be judged on that 1 thing that went wrong.

_Snake_

Established Member
Best advice I can give is to follow the test taking guidance she probably received at bootcamp. Take as many practice tests as possible prior to the exam. Start by taking one test for each knowledge area and work your way up to a cumulative test that includes all knowledge areas. Make sure she scores well above the actual passing score on the practice exams. Personally, I'd try to take the test 3 weeks after bootcamp. She'll need a week to decompress and come up with a study plan, but it's easy to forget the tips and tricks if you wait too long.

Taking the test

1. Memorize all of your formulas and write them down as soon as they allow you to start the test
2. Answer the easiest questions first, then go back and work on the more challenging ones (work your way up to the most difficult ones)
3. Take breaks if you need them
4. Separate real PM experience from PMI land (probably the biggest problem experienced PM's have)

Lastly, don't let her be too hard on herself if she doesn't pass. I know more people who didn't pass on the first attempt than those who did.

Signed,
Mike, PMP (2012)

CV355

_
Established Member
I was pushed to go PMP, but I hate being in management and committed career suicide last year to avoid it. (was a engineer/PM for 10 years, then eng. manager, just wanted to be an engineer)

Basically, check any box where the solution is:
"More meetings to discuss meetings before meeting for meetings about meetings"
"Blame engineering"
"Leave early while the rest of the team is working their asses off, then send aggressive emails about not hitting dates/budget."

Project Management 101 right there. If I ever get pushed in that direction again, I'm climbing the building and jumping off head-first.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I was pushed to go PMP, but I hate being in management and committed career suicide last year to avoid it.

"Blame engineering"
"Leave early while the rest of the team is working their asses off, then send aggressive emails about not hitting dates/budget."

Project Management 101 right there. If I ever get pushed in that direction again, I'm climbing the building and jumping off head-first.

LOL

You forgot "learn to be a master of delegation."

Coiled03

Established Member
I was pushed to go PMP, but I hate being in management and committed career suicide last year to avoid it.

"Blame engineering"

I didn't realize you'd been hired by my employer. We should get together for drinks, sometime!

tistan

Established Member
I think guessing construction/manufacturing "Project Managers" are different than "Project Managers" in more commercial/business development fields are. I was a PM at both manufacturing/construction but the ones my wife hires for their insurance company are totally different. That's a job ill never ****ing touch again; everything is your fault, theres not enough CYA in the world to help you, you can do 999,999 things perfect and not get a single peep or praise about it, but you're gonna be judged on that 1 thing that went wrong.
Construction project management was the same way. I did it just long enough to get the experience needed for my commercial contors license. There were several times (subs not showing up main reason, project gets behind, boss wouldn't let me fire subs because it cost more to go get new ones, clients then calling several times a day) where I almost said **** it I'll stick to residential.

I did my commercial test a few months ago. Everyone I talked to said it was extremely difficult. I have 20 years experience, and I studied for 6-8 hours a day 4 weeks straight. I felt well prepared going into it. By the fourth hour, I was not at all confident that I was passing. I just kept telling myself to keep calm and concentrate. I passed, but they unfortunately they don't tell you a score unless you fail. My wife was signed up to take it two weeks after me. I told her all the difficult questions that I could remember so she could study those sections. She passed too. Then we were discussing the questions after the exam and figured out that we had the exact same exam.

CV355

_
Established Member
I didn't realize you'd been hired by my employer. We should get together for drinks, sometime!

Haha. I hate meetings. Hated them then, hate them now. Some are necessary, but if I could go get the information I need from team members by walking around and getting it from them MYSELF, I saved everyone a ton of time and frustration.

chinchilla

Established Member
I got my PMP last fall, take the required class, read the PMBOK once, read the rita book once, read the PMBOK again and then take a bunch of practice tests. I prepped for 60 days and scored Above Target (the highest score) on 4 of 5 and Target on the last section. I didn't think it was as hard as people made it out to be. Don't try to memorize every little detail but try to create a mental image of how every process and phase relates to the others.

PM me if you want I have some spreadsheets and study materials I can send your way.

Users who are viewing this thread