Anyone installed a 4.0 Whipple Crusher?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well, I went and did it! Sold my 2.3 and bought a 4.0 crusher. I've searched most of the forums out there and not seeing any write-ups or numbers on a 4.0 WC on an '03 Cobra.
Anyone have experience with this combo? Pitfalls, stuff I should look out for, hood clearance issues etc. etc.
If so I'd sure appreciate it if you could share. It should arrive Friday and I'll begin the install this weekend.
Thanks guys!

Ray H.

Ironhand

Banned
Same as a 3.4 Crusher.

It will not clear the stock hood and you will have to notch the hood, drop the motor, or use K member spacers.

The problem is that you will have to run such a massive pulley in order to run pump gas that it still may not clear the hood.

gabe1530

Banned
Ray, are you still running your stock longblock? just wondering as this blower is pretty intense and i wouldnt even want to run it on pump gas. e85/race gas or not at all.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the reply. If I continue to run E-85 ( I have the big return style triple pump kit, Fore rails, big lines etc. and 80's) can I run a smaller pulley and obtain the clearance I would need?

Ray

Ironhand

Banned
Thanks for the reply. If I continue to run E-85 ( I have the big return style triple pump kit, Fore rails, big lines etc. and 80's) can I run a smaller pulley and obtain the clearance I would need?

Ray

Yes. But it is extremely easy to get 25 psi out of an upper only on a 4.0L. I would not subject stock rod bolts, piston rings, or the PTW clearance to that much strain.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
Good luck Ray:rockon: I'm anxiously waiting to see what numbers the blower will make on a 03 motor. keep us posted.:beer:

itSSlow98

Established Member
I heard of a shop actually putting an underdrive crank pulley on to keep the boost down to a manageable level. For a street car I honestly dont see the point in a 4.0. The car im talking about made like 750rwtq at 2500rpms on pump gas. Theres no way itll ever put that to the ground the way it comes on.

svtrookie

Established Member
I heard of a shop actually putting an underdrive crank pulley on to keep the boost down to a manageable level. For a street car I honestly dont see the point in a 4.0. The car im talking about made like 750rwtq at 2500rpms on pump gas. Theres no way itll ever put that to the ground the way it comes on.

+1..I heard the same thing. Unusable power for the most part. However, it does look insane under the hood!

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I think Jared has this blower on his car, but his car is fully built motor and everything. Power by the Hour installed in all I believe.

Good luck Ray.

itSSlow98

Established Member
get a cowl, let her rip dude don't listen to haters who probably cant afford it, 4.0 IS THE BEST!

Lol you've got to be kidding right. We tell it how it is cause you claim we can't afford it? I would line up against a 4.0 car anyday of the week on the street.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Congrats ray , but with a stock long block I really dont see it lasting very long as ironhand mentioned. If I were u I would seriously put a built motor in before the blower goes on. Or u should of honestly went 3.4 whipple. A 3.4 with the stock 3.5 pulley makes 25#s of boost ..on that same combo u can add a negative 4 # lower to get u right where your motor would make great power on and still be reliable on e85. Im not sure what a 4 liter makes with the stock pulley? Maybe 30#s? Again as iron hand mentioned even a pulley the size of a pizza will most likely have hood clearance issues and barley get u to 25#s.

Hope this helps

SVT Pille

Established Member
get a cowl, let her rip dude don't listen to haters who probably cant afford it, 4.0 IS THE BEST!

epic_haters_gonna_hate_memes_640_37.jpg

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well guys as it turns out I should have consulted my tuner (and some of you) before buying the 4.0. He says it's just too much blower for a stock short block. I've got too many other projects going right now to invest the time and money in a built motor.
This will probably be going up for sale. It's a shame too. It just arrived today still in the Whipple shipping box with all the instructions etc. The thing looks totally bad ass!

Anyway, all the advice and well-wishers are much appreciated. Looks like I just kinda overshot my my goals with this bad boy. It will make someone a very kick ass screamer though. I'll probably post it up for sale shortly.

Ray H.

Users who are viewing this thread