Anyone interested in Carbon Fiber hoods?

Dave@EFI

Established Member
Mods/Admin: This thread is intended to gauge interest on Carbon Fiber hoods. If there is enough interest I will look into having my manufacturer become a sponsor. If there is a problem with this thread, please feel free to contact me via PM and I will delete it. Thanks, Dave

I have a supplier that is manufacturing C/F hoods for a bunch of different cars, one of which is the Mustangs..so I figured I'd give you all a shot at it. I'll be getting one for my Z06 soon. I have pics of the Z06 version, but none for the Mustangs yet. I did request some. Post up if you're interested, prices should be near the $1k mark for the C/F hoods shipped to you.

My manufacturers response to a request for Mustang hoods.

on the 94-99 i have both oem style carbon fiber hood
and the high rise style just like the corvette one.

one the 99-03 i have oem style, high rise, and an
extreme design which has two vents in it

Here are some pics of the Corvette version Hi Rise:

P1160122.JPG

P1160119.JPG

P1160115.JPG

P1160111.JPG

Aloha, Dave
:beer:

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Dave,

thanks for your post. We appreciate the info.

I already have a carbon fiber 03cobra hood. I took it off the car because I didn't like the way it looked on the car. I will eventually get it painted to match the car. I still have some questions though:

how much will your hoods weigh? The CF hood availible now is 25lbs. What other material is the hood made of? My hood looks very brown under certain light, is that normal? The pics you posted look much better than my hood.

Lastly, there is a market for your hoods, but I don't know how many will pay the 1k. Thats why no one has the CF hood availible now is because of the price, would you be willing to do a group buy to lower the price a bit? I appreciate your time and help.

Dave@EFI

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Dave,

thanks for your post. We appreciate the info.

how much will your hoods weigh? The CF hood availible now is 25lbs. What other material is the hood made of? My hood looks very brown under certain light, is that normal? The pics you posted look much better than my hood.

Lastly, there is a market for your hoods, but I don't know how many will pay the 1k. Thats why no one has the CF hood availible now is because of the price, would you be willing to do a group buy to lower the price a bit? I appreciate your time and help.

The carbon fiber hoods for the Vette weigh in at 50% less than stock for the standard hood. For the hi-rise hood, the weight is nearly the same, maybe....15% lighter than stock? I will check into the weight for the Mustang hoods. The pics you see of the hood are done with 2x2 twill weave which is the best looking and one of the strongest weaves for the C/F. The browning you are getting in your hood is probably due to the resin/clear that was used to finish the hood. There needs to be some UV protection in the resin/clear.

In regards to the pricing, the $1k is a preliminary price. I will be able to finalize the pricing once I can determine if it'd be worthwhile to look into becoming a vendor for the site. If the demand looks good, I'll contact the admin and possibly become a vendor. Thanks for the interest and the good response/feedback.;-)

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
There may be a time when I would be interested. It would depend on just how much weight I would be saving, the cost of the hood, and the cost I would expend to have it painted to match my current paint job.

Question: I can see the texture of the Carbon Fiber. Is that texture covered in a clear polymer of some sort so that the surface of the hood is smooth? It looks like it isn't smooth.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Dave - thanks for your response. I don't know that much about the different kind of weeves for CF so your probably right.

Your supplier could make hoods that perfectly replicate the 03 cobra hood right? I will send you a PM.

Steeda1

Established Member
I have been looking all over for a CF hood that matches the 03'. The only problem is that I could buy a lot of performance for 1k. :)

Darcsun

Established Member
When the time comes, I may be interested in the weight savings. I'm a skinny guy, so.... unlike some, I can't go on a diet to save a few tenths. I'd be interested in a stock looking hood when the time comes, and would want to paint the topside to match.

Dave@EFI

Established Member
Looks like a decent demand so far. The OEM style C/F hood may be more than 50% lighter so it'll be good for performance. I know that especially with the Cobra's, alot of HP can be bought for $1k. As I mentioned above that is a general pricing....The demand will determine whether or not the supplier will become a vendor. Needless to say, if that happens forum members here will get a good price point.:)

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I would be interested in the 600-$750 range. C/F hood are all over the place for ricers and expeditions for $350-$500.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
It's an interesting idea, I like it, but, 1k is alot of dough to save 15 lbs off the front. Too bad it aint worth 40 or 50, then it's a no-brainer.

Dave@EFI

Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
It's an interesting idea, I like it, but, 1k is alot of dough to save 15 lbs off the front. Too bad it aint worth 40 or 50, then it's a no-brainer.

I agree with this. I wish these items were cheaper. If you want a cheap hood then they're easy enough to come by, but when you're buying these hoods it comes down to the fit & finish. I can get you a fiberglass hood for $350 and it'd be cool but fit like chit and you'll probably wish you saved your money & kept the stock one on. Or you can pay now, and get something worthwhile that will not only serve to reduce weight, but it'll add some flash to the car as well. Decisions, decisions.....I know, I've got them too!:-D

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
There is a CF 03 cobra hood availible right now, but it looks alittle ricey when its on the car (well at least a black one)

Here is a pic of my car with the CF hood. I took it off because I am going to paint it black (but its been sitting in the garage for a long time now :lol1: )

Blades

Established Member
I see what you mean Kevin.. That would drive me nuts.. Let me know how it turns out when you paint it black..

Carbon fiber is great and all. But thats 1k away from the Kenne Bell or the Full MM Suspension fund.. Would the weight savings be enough to off set the weight distribution in our favor? Get more close to that 50/50 mark?

Silver10thAConv

Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
I think I could save more weight by loosing 25# off my fat a$$.

And that wouldn't cost $1,000
:lol:

I hear ya man. I'm carrying about 80lbs. of extra ballast around myself.

Heck with the car, I'm the one that needs a diet!:-D

93KingCobra

Established Member
Hoods look good I think I would be very interested. Please let us know when you get more Info. Would they be exactly like the stock cobra hoods with vent's and all?:thumbsup:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Does it have the vents like the CF hood that Sean Hyland sells? I saw one on his car and it looked and fitted great.
Mystified - As far as I know, my hood is the same hood as the one SHM sells. Thats what I was told. It does have vents but you can't use the stock vents. I don't want to hyjack Dave's thread though so if you want any more pics just PM me.

Dave - Will your hood look just like my CF hood? I can post more pics if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread