anyone know a engine builder that may have a part I need?

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a 4.6 sohc motor that needs the right rear cam bearing top/holddown. theres 2 of these per head. the front one holds down the front of the cam and has 8 bolt holes for the first 4 cam jornals and back one has 6 bolt holes that holds down the back of the cam, the last 3 cam jornals. I need the rear one with 6 bolt holes. I cant get it from the dealer they said so......btw its stamped 5.4 but i know its stock. if anyone has an old sohc mustang head or knows someone that does please let me know. thanks

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
I'm pretty sure these are manufactured with the cylinder heads and will only work with the head they are made to fit. Just like gears, you can't take the ring gear from one set of 4.10s and use it with the pinion from another set.

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
like i said the dealer said i cant order it there (comes with the head only) I know they are matched sets because they line bore them but if i can find one or 2 i can check it on my head for clearence. its for a 03 GT

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
just buy a used pi head on ebay.

probably cost you less then a new cam cap and the line bore of the cam journals.

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
yeah quadcammer I thinking about that but if someone has a used one I'd like to try that first to see how it fits. anybody?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Its exactly the same thing as using the main caps from one block on another. Can't be done without line honing. Then, you can run into clearance problems as it will put the cam closer to the valves and rockers. Not sure what that can cause, but it can't be good. There have been several reports of people breaking the part you need because of improper installation. It can be a bitch to do it right. When you do...it's a complete new head according to Ford. For the nightmares it could cause, I would believe them. Besides, there can't be that much of a price difference getting a good used head compared to doing all that is necessary to repair yours...and MAYBE having it work.

Users who are viewing this thread