Anyone know California?

Slo Poke

Established Member
I currently live in Georgia but I am soon to graduate from engineering school. I just found out that I may have a job hook up at a certain Lockheed plant in Glendale California. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity but I don't know anything about Glendale California. Is it a nice place or is it run down. Will my car pass emmissions (03 cobra pullied, intake, exhaust, blah, blah), what would a decent apartment run me. If anyone can tell me anything I would appreciate it.

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
im gonna say you might not pass emissions since Cali has the strictest in the nation. a decent apartment might run you $1500? i dont know for sure, but i know gas is expensive as shit there.

I live in Marina Del Rey, about 35 mins from Glendale. From what I know (been there four or five times) the area is not bad. California is California.. Crazy traffic.. Crazy people.. unbeatable weather.. unbeatable beaches... The rent out here is outrageous (fortunate for me, my girlfriend's parents own Apt complexes and we live in one) $1500-$2200 for a one bedroom depending where you want to live (might be different in Glendale) and the gas is high ($2.47 for regular and it is VERY watered down).
If I were you, I would definately look into it more before you make the move. I regret moving out here all the time, as does my girlfriend and if it wasn't for the beaches and nice weather, I wouldn't be here.
Just my .02!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
to me life is about adventure - i would say hell yeah do it and if you really hate it you could always go back

it is a very expensive place to live but there are pros and cons to everything

good luck!

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
man i cant believe how close i was on rent, having never been to cali. lol. personally, i wouldnt do it, but i hate california so thats really just a personal thing

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Slo Poke said:
I currently live in Georgia but I am soon to graduate from engineering school. I just found out that I may have a job hook up at a certain Lockheed plant in Glendale California. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity but I don't know anything about Glendale California. Is it a nice place or is it run down. Will my car pass emmissions (03 cobra pullied, intake, exhaust, blah, blah), what would a decent apartment run me. If anyone can tell me anything I would appreciate it.

i was born in glendale, my dad grew up there. its mostly armenian(sp?) now. its a cool town, but too crowded for my taste. my advice rent a room for as cheap as possible, while saving as much as you can. then buy a small condo to start building equity as soon as you have a decent down payment(10-20%)
my grandpa(my moms dad) worked for lockheed in burbank. he worked for the skunkworks i believe creating/designing tools. your are correct its a great opportunity for you, good luck.

there is lots to do in socal, and you will have a great time. the key is to find a place near work, commuting is a pain in socal traffic. as far as emmissions, and all regulations in cali suck. i think you will be fine if you still have all the stock cats. thats the big thing to worry about for smog testing.

I live in Marina Del Rey, about 35 mins from Glendale. From what I know (been there four or five times) the area is not bad. California is California.. Crazy traffic.. Crazy people.. unbeatable weather.. unbeatable beaches... The rent out here is outrageous (fortunate for me, my girlfriend's parents own Apt complexes and we live in one) $1500-$2200 for a one bedroom depending where you want to live (might be different in Glendale) and the gas is high ($2.47 for regular and it is VERY watered down).
If I were you, I would definately look into it more before you make the move. I regret moving out here all the time, as does my girlfriend and if it wasn't for the beaches and nice weather, I wouldn't be here.
Just my .02!

my cousin moved into his condo last year in marina del rey. he loves it out there. sounds like the only thing you dont like is the high prices? why did you move to such a nice area?
i dissagree with you on you advice. working as an engineer for a huge aerospace engineering firm like lockheed is something that you can not turn down, i could care less where it is. the experience from just 2-5 years on the job can not be replaced, not to mention the addition of lockheed on the resume is priceless! if anyone gets a chance to work for lockheed, boeing, etc take it dont look back and count your blessings! i believe that boeing recieve over 900,000 one year. to work for one of these company's is equivelent to winning the lottery!:beer:

edit: slo poke pm me if you have any questions about socal or lockheed. ill do my best to answer them for you.

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
Slo Poke said:

- a studio or one bedroom will cost you between 900-1300 depending on where you want to live. Expect a 2 bedroom apt to be in the 1500-2300 range.

- Don't expect to be able to find a Condo in a decent area for anything less than 400k, or high 300's if you're lucky

- The beaches are nice, but that's where everyone flocks to on most holidays.

- pretty large Mustang community out here

- Smog checks are nothing to worry about if you know people

- expect lots of traffic, and I mean lots of it. Learn how to drive aggressively if you haven't already.

- Vegas is a short trip away

California can be a nice place to live, but not forever. I've been living out here all my life and I sure as hell plan on getting the f' out at some point in my life.

Slo Poke

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice. The potential job offer is at Skunk Works Glendale. Something about working on "classified" projects is very appealing to me. I also have a job opportunity at the Lockheed Marietta GA plant on the F22 or F35 project, but I think the Skunk Works opportunity will help me alot more in the long run. I don't plan on living in California forever but I just want to get the work experience. I am not going to buy a house or condo there so I will be renting. I will buy a house when I eventually come back to GA. I don't know if I should sell the cobra and pick up something cheaper and more emissions friendly or if I should take my chances. My girlfriend would also be moving out there too. Are there any colleges that she could transfer to that are close to that area?

Slo Poke

Established Member
I will be graduating from Southern Poly State University in 4 weeks. THe reason I have these opportunities is that I have been working at my dads aerospace composites company since I was 14 (22 now). We do alot of outsource work for Lockheed. I started out working in our tooling department making tools, molds, models etc. for different companies. Then I got promoted to actually making some of the smaller parts that go on the planes and now for the last two years, I have been a project manager while going to school. I threw all this info in before anyone could say I'm getting handed possible jobs because who my father is.

50 Proof

Established Member
Slo Poke said:
I don't know if I should sell the cobra and pick up something cheaper and more emissions friendly or if I should take my chances. My girlfriend would also be moving out there too. Are there any colleges that she could transfer to that are close to that area?

Keep the Cobra and put a street legal exhaust on it, you'll regret selling it. California sometimes does what they call Road Side Spot checks. They set up a smog check station on the side of the road and pull random cars over and make it seem like you have to lift your hood. However, most people don't know that you can opt out of it if they pull you aside.

Southern California has more colleges than you'll know what to do with - cal state L.A., Cal Poly Pomona, UCLA, USC, Cal State Fullerton, UC Irvine, Pepperdine University, UC Riverside, and this doesn't include JR Colleges.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread